Emails deleting in outlook 2011 for mac after 45 days

Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to change any setting that will allow OUTLOOK 2011 for Mac to retain my emails for longer than 45 days both in my inbox and in my deleted file. I have tried both in Gmail (which is my email address) and Outlook where emails are sent to on my computer. I am not a computer expert but have researched this online and can't seem to find a resolution...Anybody?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. The reason the emails are being deleted is that your email provider (Gmail) is using IMAP, and has set the lifetime of emails at 45 days, apparently. So they delete them from their server and the next time you check your email, that deletion is passed on to your system. What you can do to preserve them past that drop date is to create a new folder in Outlook, then move the older emails to that folder before Gmail deletes them. (Right click the email, select Move and Choose the folder you created. You can also write a rule to move them or copy them as soon as they arrive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am not a computer expert but have researched this online and can't seem to find a resolution...Anybody?

Member "MacInWin" gave you the correct answer, however, you would have found that out very easily by going into "settings" in your gmail account and doing some reading. There are different settings for IMAP and POP mail.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you MacInWIn. I will do that. I looked and looked online for an option to change the 'lifetime' of 45 days but couldn't find any info. Nor did I find your suggestion as a simple resolution. A new folder is very practical...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.