Can't back up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I've just bought a 1TB seagate backup plus to use with Time machine. (So that I can upgrade my OS) However Time machine is not listing the device in its list so I cannot select it to use it for backing up. It is only displaying BOOTCAMP. What is going on and how can I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Time Machine will detect the disk and format the drive if need be.
When you connect the drive, is the drive visible in DiskUtility or not ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Time Machine will detect the disk and format the drive if need be.
When you connect the drive, is the drive visible in DiskUtility or not ?

Cheers ... McBie

Indeed it said when I bought it that it should be already formatted and yes it is visible in disk utility.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Indeed it said when I bought it that it should be already formatted and yes it is visible in disk utility.

Normally brand new hard drives don't come pre-formatted with a "BOOTCAMP" partition. In your 1st post you mentioned "BOOTCAMP". If you're seeing something related to bootcamp…something has been done to this drive. And if you did something to create a bootcamp partition on this hard drive…you need to tell us….and anything else that's been done…so we can understand the situation.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Unless it said it was pre-formatted for the Mac (a few are) that usually means that the drive is formatted for a PC. Time Machine does not ewcognize that format (NTFS). As McBie suggested format the drive yourself. Time Machine should ask if you want to do that. If it doesn't use Disk Utility.

Reaction score
I strongly suspect this isn't a new drive and still has a Windows partition. As Slydude mentioned, format the drive yourself with HFS+ from Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.