Shortcuts

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the mac...well relatively anyway. Generally am good with computers having lived in Linux and Windows worlds both professionally and personally. Really liking the mac experience. My questions relates to shortcuts/alias'. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

In windows I add the explorer (finder) icon to the task bar with all my shortcuts bundled in. Looking to replicate this on the dock. Currently have a couple of folders alias' which works ok.
Is there a way to group them into one folder icon?
Is there a way to click or double click a folder and link straight into finder rather than right click and select open in finder? Can the folder icons be moved to the top (left if dock is at bottom of screen) of the dock rather than the bottom (right if at bottom of screen)? Generally I use a launcher app (alfred atm) for apps but still have app icons on the dock. Must be mentioned I don't like desktop icons or folders, desktops are for background only :)
Does anyone run without a dock or is that even possbile?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
You can create folders with what you want in them (I have one with all my photography apps in called photography) and then drag it to the right hand side of the dock to keep it there. I think these are called stacks but could be mistaken.

To open directly from the folder / stack into Finder it's a combination of cmd and click on the folder / stack icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If the items you want "bundled in" are from various places, first create a new folder, I'll call it Bundle, then create aliases of the items you want access to, and put them into Bundle. Now drag Bundle to the right side of the Dock. That creates an alias in the Dock. (Yes, it's called a Stack.) If you want to add more items later, drag them into Bundle. And, I think that works if you drag them onto the Dock alias called Bundle.

OP
M
Reaction score
nickyr and toMACsh

Thank you, that is perfect now in happy land again!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Good! Don't get mad at your Mac, get acquainted with it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.