Mouse headaches after installing El Capitan

Reaction score
After installing El Capitan my Mac began having problems with a wired Logitech mouse. It would still move but wouldn't click on anything, left or right and I was forced to shut down the computer by holding in the power button. I dug out my old magic mouse I quit using because I'd dropped it so many times it barely functioned. I broke down and purchased a new Magic Mouse 2 and now am having problems with wait cursor locking it up. It will still move but won't come out of the spin of death and again am forced to hard shut down the computer by holding in the power button. I switched back while it was doing this to the old Magic Mouse but it just kept spinning. I haven't done anything in the mouse setup in System Preferences for the new mouse, just powered it up and used it. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently own several Mac laptops and desktops, iPod Touch, and iPad.
Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's SMC.
b. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the
COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the
indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait until the operation
completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

4. Reinstall OS X: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall OS X from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After installing El Capitan my Mac began having problems with a wired Logitech mouse. It would still move but wouldn't click on anything, left or right and I was forced to shut down the computer by holding in the power button. I dug out my old magic mouse I quit using because I'd dropped it so many times it barely functioned. I broke down and purchased a new Magic Mouse 2 and now am having problems with wait cursor locking it up. It will still move but won't come out of the spin of death and again am forced to hard shut down the computer by holding in the power button. I switched back while it was doing this to the old Magic Mouse but it just kept spinning. I haven't done anything in the mouse setup in System Preferences for the new mouse, just powered it up and used it. What am I doing wrong?

You haven't given us any specs about your Mac (year and model) or which version of OS X it's running. From your description above it's difficult to tell if it's a hardware problem or software problem. It's probably not your mouse that's at fault which is why it would be helpful if you provided us with more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently own several Mac laptops and desktops, iPod Touch, and iPad.
Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later is required for the MM2. The OP had installed El Capitan. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I have the iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Graphics ATi Radeon HD 4850 512 MB. I had OS X Yosemite installed by a certified Apple service center and I installed OS X El Capitan myself, which I now regret and wish I could go back. I wanted to post this before I try the fixes above. According to what I read all that was needed to use the Magic Mouse 2 was to have "Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later" but if you know different please advise, thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
I broke down and called Apple Care, wife has a contract with them for her phone. They decided to help me? First agent had me unplug power and replug and restart, holding keys Command, Option, P and R and then restart normal. Same agent had me restart holding keys Command and R, then had me re-install El Capitan (another issue with documents). Got a white screen for about 20 minutes till I called back and next agent had me hard power off and start up holding same keys Command and R and try again to re-install El Capitan, finally took hold and installed OS. Got a call scheduled by the 1st agent but was busy talking to 2nd. When I called back to Apple got a third agent that insisted that I should have un-installed El Capitan before I tried to re-install. While talking to him got a call back scheduled by the 2nd agent. Couldn’t understand this forth agent because her phone kept cutting out so she transferred me to her boss. Boss had me download a disk image which located select files and zip send them to him so he and an engineer could review them. He called me back later and said that I needed to reset my system management controller which entails starting up holding down the Command, Option, P and R keys again and I guess this also reset the NVRAM. Lo and behold when it started up again I had the internal speakers working which hadn’t worked since Yosemite was installed and so far the Magic Mouse 2 hasn’t given me the spinning wheel of death, knock on wood (my head). I appreciate all the help and advice given here and I’ve been using a Mac since 2010 but I still consider myself a novice when it comes to tweaking software issues and am scared s**tless I’ll screw it up worse than it already is if I try adjusting settings. One of the agents told me that the average life of a Mac computer is 5-7 years and I might as well get ready to buy another one. I hope this isn’t true because $2600 (2009) is a big chunk of change and for what I use it for I don’t think I could justify that buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.