Itunes - Some songs show up as TMPs or aren't actually moved to my library.

Reaction score
Noticing this occasionally.

Every once in a while, i see that a song that i have added to my Itunes library has a little exclamation point to the left of the track and the file can't be found.

Today, i downloaded a concert from Archive.org and added it to my Itunes library. The songs play now, but if i delete the folder from my desktop, the songs are now 'missing files'. In addition, i noticed that the song tracks are not listed in Itunes but are just called 'TMP' but have the correct song lengths (times).

How do i get the files to be recognized? I'm listening to them but they won't stay accessible in my Itunes folder at a later date.

Stevo

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In iTunes, preferences (keyboard shortcut is cmd + comma); make sure that the box " copy all tunes to media folder" is ticked.

Now, as I type this, I don't have access to iTunes so I can't recall in which of the preferences you will find this. Just go to preferences and click on each of the headings. One of them has the box I mentioned.

At the moment, it looks like you can play your music from your download folder but to retain the songs in iTunes, you need to copy them to the media folder.

Sorry to be so I exact, but you'll find it I'm sure.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Once you have the iTunes Preferences open click the Advanced tab, The copy to settings are in that tab.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks Sly. I'm on a short break for the weekend and couldn't test the details.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you mean to tell me that some people have a life and do things other than man the forums?:Confused: I have been seriously misinformed.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. And I'm still enjoying the "other" life; but it all ends tomorrow. Back to the grind, but then what would life be without Mac-Forums ?

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
So here is another track that seems to have disappeared. I get this little exclamation point to the left of the song.
How can it disappear? Everything lives in one Itunes Media Folder. The box is checked. Almost everything else i load in works fine and doesn't disappear.

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 2.40.34 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Btw, that song is a joke song from a friend who made a song on Soundcloud. It's just an MP3.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. Wasn't an email and i dragged into the folder like every song i do. And the song has played previously, but now it shows up as missing. Very random.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stevo

I just wanted to check, again, that you have these boxes ticked in the Advanced Section of iTunes Preferences:

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 08.03.55.jpg

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.