Passwords and such

Reaction score
I am in one helluva mess.
My passwords seem to be all mixed up.
My MAC Mail account will not accept the only password I have for this ID. And I have no way to change the password.
I have several other email accounts that work OK, but I continue to get popup requests for passwords for these accounts.
I am unable to access keychain since I dont know the password. I am told to go to iforgot.apple.com who will not accept the info I enter.
My access to icloud has been shut off, apparently for the above problems.
I use Last Pass as a PW manager, but it doesnt seem to help with the above problems.
I use the latest OS on a Macbook pro.
I dont know where to start to correct any of this. I hit a brickwall no matter what I do.
I need a lot of help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Passwords & Userid's are a VERY personal thing. Thus not very easy or someone else to help (strangers). All I can suggest is…if there's no chance of remembering the userid an PW for each account. You need to do your best to reset these parameters…re-establish new userid's & password's for each account…and try to do a better job managing these important account details.:)

And as you mentioned. Some of your accounts have probably been shutdown…due to too many incorrect login attempts. In these cases you probably need to make phone calls to get things corrected.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And further your best option maybe an erase and clean install and set everything up frech. Itrust you are not using FileVault?

Reaction score
Try going to System preferences --> Internet accounts and then manage your accounts from there. Is it possible that rather than the wrong password you some how have your username/email mixed up? Also could you clarify what you mean by "not knowing your keychain password". This should be the same password you use to log into your computer. If worst comes to worst you could try running an application called Onyx(Free) and run it through the automation process as it still has disk permissions repair, which fixes a lot of problems with macs. I have posted a picture bellow of the settings which you should use.
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-18%20at%208.20.55%20AM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, Firejack, I am making slow progress. I ran Onyx and was able to correct an Apple ID password.
My most recent hangup is with System Preferences on the MAC It shows an incorrect date of birth. I correct this but it refuses to accept the correction and asks me for my secret qustions, one of which I have never used, i.e. Who was your favorite teacher- I never used this option. So now I go round and round never satisfying the request to change my secret answers or date of birth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
To take up the banner of a former member: You don't have a MAC, you have a Macintosh, or a Mac, for short. Mac is an abbreviation in this case, not an acronym.

But to stay on your topic. I'm curious about this "date of birth". What do you mean? I have no idea where you encounter this in System Preferences. Educate me, please!

Good luck coming up with the name of some unknown person's favorite teacher!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My most recent hangup is with System Preferences on the MAC It shows an incorrect date of birth. I correct this but it refuses to accept the correction and asks me for my secret qustions, one of which I have never used, i.e. Who was your favorite teacher- I never used this option. So now I go round and round never satisfying the request to change my secret answers or date of birth.

When you say "date of birth" are you talking your date of birth.

Also…has this computer been yours since new…or did you purchase it used?

- If you purchased it used…you could be running into an issue with a previous users info & settings.
- If this computer has been yours since new. Then you must have set this stuff up previously (and possibly forgotten this info)…happens all the time!;)

* Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
To answer a couple of questions:
I am asked for my date of birth before I get the request to answer the my secret security questions.
I have had the computer since new.
On several attempts to answer security questions, they have been for items I have never given. i.e. What is the automobile you least liked or as noted above what was the name of your favorite teacher. Neither of these were my secrets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, starting to clear up a bit. I think this is happening when you are interacting with your web browser. Do you use Safari?

Please explain exactly where you are (what screen or window is open) when you correct your date of birth. I do not know of anyplace on my Mac that stores my date of birth.

Does this problem with security questions come up for only one particular web site? If not, how many exhibit the same problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question. Do you have more than one account on this computer? And if so…maybe you are logged into a different account…and possibly why the userids & passwords aren't working.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are you sure you're logged into your Mac as you and the user you expect to be logged in????

You Go Home window or house icon will have your name.

Just in case…

EDIT:

Yes Nick, I'm a slow typist… ;)

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
I seem to have things under control.
To answer some of the response.
Yes, I was logged in as me.
I can only access the "what is your date of birth" when I have entered a password that Apple wont accept and then changing my password, which I dont want to do again.
I have solved the "Mail" problem by eliminating the offending Mail address since it is available by other means.
Thanks to all for the suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can only access the "what is your date of birth" when I have entered a password that Apple wont accept and then changing my password, which I dont want to do again.

So, this is while online, right? And using what web browser, Safari?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.