How do I get my photos from my iPhone to my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

I have to send from photos to a friend. I took these photos on my iPhone 5C (about 6 or 7 pics) and I'd like to transfer them to my Mac laptop (OSX 10.7.5) and then send them as attachments to an email to my friend. But I don't know how to do any of this. Sorry, I'm not really a power user and I don't usually take many photos. Of course, I do know how to send an attachment to an email but I don't know how to get the photos from my iPhone to my Mac. I have the latest version of iTunes and a fairly current version of iPhoto in my laptop. And, I think I've transferred photos from iPhone to my Mac laptop before but I don't remember how to do it. Please walk me thru this knowing I'm a pretty elementary Mac user.

And thanks in advance,

Bob M.

P.S. I hope I've posted this in the right forum; if not, please transfer it to the best place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use the USB connection, plug it into the iPhone and Mac, and Photos/iPhoto will do the rest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Hi Bob, you can either use iPhoto or Image capture to import them to your Mac. I personally use Image Capture as I can pick and choose the ones I want, One or All. I have not used iPhoto or Photos to get them, but someone else will chime in and give you their way of doing it. ;-)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have the USB cable from my iPhone to my Mac laptop. (It's how I charge my iPhone and sync it and stuff.) I've had this phone about 2 years but I don't take many pics. I don't want to transfer all the photos on my iPhone to my Mac laptop, just the 6 or 7 pics I just took today. How do I do that?

And, what is Image Capture? Is that a program I have to buy? Or, is it already on my laptop? And if I have it, how do I tell it just to load in the 6 or 7 pics I want to deal with?

Thanks,

Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, Image Capture is in your Applications folder. When you see all the pictures on the screen you can just mark the ones you want, select a destination folder and choose import. There may be a toggle from selected or ALL, so watch for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
If you have two Apple devices you can switch on iCloud on both and the photos will appear in My Photo Stream (or whatever it is called in iPhotos, can't remember).

On Mac > System Preferences > iCloud > Photos (or iPhotos) > switch on My Photo Stream
On Phone > Settings > iCloud > My Photo Stream

Ignore the other tabs otherwise all your photos will download to the phone and use up its memory.

Once you have closed the camera app on the phone, any photos will appear on your Mac and stay for 30 days which is plenty of time, if you wish, to save to albums in iPhotos.

Mac Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 20.01.40.jpg

Phone 12674675_10154018087154583_873073685_n.jpg

Alternatively you can email them straight from the phone. Select the pictures you wish to send, click the arrow at the bottom of the screen then select Mail from the choices. You may want to do them a couple at a time, if they are big files, to reduce upload time.

Reaction score
Another option may be simpler which is to use airdrop if the phone and Mac both have the capability.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, everyone, for giving me lots of suggestions. I was able to accomplish this via iPhoto where I rotated, cropped and saved the photos before attaching and successfully emailing them. Thanks for the help.

Bob M.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apologies, I made a possible erroneous comment and need to check it out in order to be accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could you just email it via iphone I think it would be easier though I'm not expert on it. Or could you could bluetooth it right? If you email to yourself you can also sent it to your friend easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Easiest way to open Image Capture (yes, it is a native app and doesn't require downloading) is to press Command/Space and start typing image capture in the search box. Then hit Return to load it.

Airdrop is perhaps the best way of transferring a few photographs, but requires both devices to be capable of it and both to be on the same network.The iPhone 4s cannot AirDrop, not sure about the 5, the 5s can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, everyone, for giving me lots of suggestions. I was able to accomplish this via iPhoto where I rotated, cropped and saved the photos before attaching and successfully emailing them. Thanks for the help.

Hi Bob - you've already received a LOT of great suggestions, nearly all of which I've used in the past, and there are even more! :)

Preview (another built-in OS X app) is my initial 'go to' imaging choice and can also be used to import pics from an iDevice or a camera (and even a scanner) - as an example, I plugged in my iPad Air 2 to my MBPro, opened an image in Preview -> File -> Import (see first image below); the second image opens showing the pics on the iPad's 'Camera Roll' w/ a LOT of metadata - select the ones desired (I picked 3) and then 'Import' (careful not to hit that 'Import All' button, if not wanted); the selected images are now all brought into Preview and can be edited using the 'Toolbar' selections. Dave :)

PhotoImport1.png PhotoImport2.png PhotoImport3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That your back yard Dave? Very Nice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
That your back yard Dave? Very Nice!

LOL! :) Would be nice, however! The pics are from a trip to the Georgia Mountains last fall - one day we toured some wineries (most of which are north of Atlanta at higher elevations) - the one w/ the mountain view was the Sautee-Nacoochee Vineyards - I put together 'travelogues' on the iPad Forums (for those who may be interested in taking a trip to the north Georgia Mtns, check HERE) - Dave

P.S. map below showing the concentration of these Georgian mountain wineries just over the North Carolina border.
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 1.42.44 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.