first Mac advice, please

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a longtime Windows user interested in buying an older Macbook primarily for the purpose of running one piece of software, a writing program called Scrivener. I'm using the Windows version of Scrivener, but the Mac version offers more features, and I want them. I don't want to spend a lot of money, as this is more or less an experiment for me. So basically, the machine will be mostly a writing machine. Scrivener for Mac runs on OS X 10.6 or higher.

I'd like a little advice about models/years to look for. I'm largely ignorant about the Mac universe, but what I'd like to find is something in the $200-300 range that I can tinker with--add RAM, swap in an SSD, change the battery myself, etc. I've been seeing the unibody Macbooks from 2009-2010 in my price range, but I don't know the extent to which they allow for that kind of updating. I know they're supposed to be solid machines, but I suppose any individual machine from that era stands the chance of having been pretty roughly used. Still, I do have a budget. Is it a horrible mistake to be looking at something that old? Any better recommendations within my range? Again, it's going to be a writing machine--nothing terribly processor-intensive. If I end up loving the Macness of the thing, I can eventually move up to a more current model.

Any thoughts appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but what I'd like to find is something in the $200-300 range that I can tinker with--add RAM, swap in an SSD, change the battery myself, etc. I've been seeing the unibody Macbooks from 2009-2010 in my price range...

Is it a horrible mistake to be looking at something that old? Any better recommendations within my range? Again, it's going to be a writing machine--nothing terribly processor-intensive.

For $200-$300 bucks…for the not terribly CPU intensive tasks you seem to have…a 2010 MacBook is probably not a bad choice. It can run the latest OS version (which is great)…and can be expanded to 16gig of ram (which is awesome as well). Try to get the 2010 MacBook (rather than 2009). The 2010 can be upgraded to 16gig of ram (2009 8gig). And the 2010 has better graphics hardware.

Access to install an SSD or replace the battery isn't too bad. Just remove the 8 bottom panel screws…and you have access for those two items.

One word of warning. These MacBooks are made of polycarbonate (plastic)…and many folks tended to "over-open" the display (too much of an angle past about 110°). This stressed the hinge area…and sometimes caused cracks in the plastic housing. Which could lead to a wobbly display.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful advice, Nick. I'll try to limit my search for the 2010 models and keep an eye out for cracked housing.
A question about the OS--will putting the latest OS on a machine that old cause a performance hit, or does the greater RAM help to mitigate that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A question about the OS--will putting the latest OS on a machine that old cause a performance hit, or does the greater RAM help to mitigate that?

Apple says that some computer models as old as 2007 can run the latest OS. So a 2010 MacBook should be ok.

As far as ram. Apple's min. for the latest OS is 2gig…but I wouldn't run it with less than 4gig…and 8gig seems to be a good "happy place".:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

How about a Mac Mini? If you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse (USB on the keyboard/mouse), then a Mac Mini can be had for a pretty good price. Even a new one is $499. The newest cannot be upgraded by the end user, I think, so an older one might be a better choice for you if you want to upgrade memory, ssd, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests, stick with a 2010 MacBook, and make it a MacBook Pro if at all possible.

OP
P
Reaction score
I appreciate the Mini idea, Jake. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a laptop, though. I will say that price on the Mini is surprisingly low--I'd never even looked at them before.

Harry, thanks for your suggestion. What will be the most notable differences between, say, a 2010 Macbook and a 2010 Macbook Pro? Is it mostly a matter of speed?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the Mini idea, Jake. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a laptop, though.

This is what I assumed (you want a laptop).

What will be the most notable differences between, say, a 2010 Macbook and a 2010 Macbook Pro? Is it mostly a matter of speed?

Mostly a matter of price (a bit more)..and the MacBook Pro shell is made out of aluminum instead of plastic.

The 2010 MacBook Pro does have one small feature the 2010 MacBook doesn't have…an SD card slot. Maybe not worth the up-charge by itself.

Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick. Yeah, I don't need an SD slot, and I'm not worried about a the plastic shell. As long as it's in good shape when I get it, I can keep it that way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Nick. Yeah, I don't need an SD slot, and I'm not worried about a the plastic shell. As long as it's in good shape when I get it, I can keep it that way.

Yes it sounded like you wanted something as low cost as possible…but without being so old that it was obsolete. Then if that experience is ok…then spend some bigger bucks to get something newer & nicer.

For what it's worth. I'm currently on an "Early 2011" 13" MacBook Pro with 8gig of ram. I really have no plans on upgrading to a newer computer anytime soon…and it pretty much does whatever I need it to do (email, internet surfing, MS Office type stuff, music & video streaming, some online gaming, etc.).

It's probably worth somewhere in the $350-$400 range. So really not that much more than your $300 max. budget.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Nick. I thought I'd replied to this yesterday...guess I didn't hit the Post button. Anyway, what I said was that your experience with the 2011 model is very encouraging. I'm sure I'll find the right machine. From our conversation here, I think this is the model I'm looking for. There are some decent-looking deals for used machines on Amazon. If/when I join the club, I'll be back and let you know what I found.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.