free photo apps

Reaction score
I've had my macbook for a week now, it's an early 2008 running snow leopard, 2.4 gb dual core, 2gb ram, 250gb hard drive. I'm still feeling my way around it at the moment and don't want to spend any money until I'm sure of what I really want to install. So I'm looking at free photo apps so I can transfer a load of photos to the mac. I use Photoshop Elements on my Windows PC, but I'd like a decent free program. Which is the best app in your opinion? Preferably one that contains an album and basic editing. Thanks :Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you check what applications are already on your 2008 MacBook? Open the Applications folder and look for "iPhoto". If you have it, that's all you need. If not, let us know and we'll suggest a free program such as "Picasa" for the Mac. Make sure anything you do download is compatible with Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said - I don't have iPhoto, sob, and the free apps in the App Store all require a step up from OSX 10.6.8. I have used several free photo apps in Windows, but that was a few years ago. I thought I'd be much better off asking on here which apps were thought worth while. To be honest I'm trying to get to grips with using the mac, using it for my interests, hobbies to see if I want to leave Windows completely. I'm really impressed so far, and this with an 8 year old macbook.
I do like working on my photos, nothing very clever, but altering size, brightness, cloning parts, removing sections, etc. That satisfies me for now, I suppose I'm a little lazy. If you think Picasa would work well on my system I'll give it a go. Thanks very much for replying, I can see me using this forum quite a lot - you have been warned ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
When I bought PSE there were installation disks for both Mac and Windows. If you did it as a download, your purchase may (and I say this hesitantly) allow you to also download to the Mac.

Aperture seems to be compatible with Snow Leopard. It was Apple's bells and whistles photo app which is now included in Photos. http://aperture.en.softonic.com/mac

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Aperture seems to be compatible with Snow Leopard. It was Apple's bells and whistles photo app which is now included in Photos. http://aperture.en.softonic.com/mac
Personally I wouldn't allow this download anywhere near my computer. It's not because I dislike the program. I actually bought the program when Apple put it in the App Store at a pretty significant discount. The program was never "free" form Apple IIRC.

My strong recommendation for avoiding the program have everything to do with the following issues:
1. This may well be a pirated copy of the software. AFAIK the full program was never "free" from Apple. Several updates were but the installers only worked if you had the base program already installed.
2. That website has developed a reputation for loading adware/other borderline malware into quite a bit of its software including Mac software.See here for example.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late in replying, thanks for the input. None of my installation disks are for macs - all windows. The last post persuaded me to miss Aperture. I had problems trying to download Picasa, so settled for Gimp. Hope it's not too complicated.... I'll probably be back.......

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll probably be back.......

Probably???

Just say…"I'll be Back!";)

hqdefault.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.