Disassociate devices from Apple id

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
My old iPhone 4 and iPad mini are not used anymore.
I have erased all settings on iPhone so I can give away or sell.
Read that is good to disassociate your phone number from the phone.
So I checked it out

Little confused here.......
I see that both my old iPhone 4 and iPad mini are still associated my cell number.
Am using same cell # for my new devices..... So why do they not show as associated devices?
I have option of removing my old devices but don't want to run into any trouble in doing so if it will affect my new devices below.

Have checked to see which products are associated with my Apple ID...
My new devices are: iPhone 5s, iPad Air and MacBook Air are all listed but oddly enough my old devices are not listed.

one wuld think that all devices wuld be listed as associated with cell and Apple ID!

Can anyone explain?

If I were to disassociate my cell number from iPhone 4..... Wuld it still show in settings/ phone?
If selling it, do not want number to show!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You cannot disassociate your phone number from your devices. The phone number is registered as part of your Apple ID but it is attached to your SIM card and your devices are associated by serial number.
You can deathorise your old devices in your iTunes account which you should do especially if you are selling or giving them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I found that I could unlink my old iPad and iPhone from Apple ID. But I see that my ph number still shows in settings/ phone
So I am now guessing that number will stay there until new owner activates it with their own number. Correct?

OR I can totally remove SIM card ... Will that remove my phone number?

Is it difficult to remove SIM card?

and can it be put into another iPhone 4 which does not have SIM card?
And then will my ph# appear on their phone?

Not sure if I understand actually what is kept on SIM card... Is it like a PC hard drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all iPhone 4s have a sim card. If your iPhone 4 is a CDMA model it will not have a sim card. But since you're in Canada, it's probably a GSM model and will have a sim card. So yes, removing the sim card will also remove the phone number.

How to remove the sim card from your iPhone 4 (YouTube video)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.