ransomware - anybody caught out- what news?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Share news about how to fight this one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that we have about two earlier Mac-Forums threads discussing this.:)

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I haven't been caught out and, as is, not likely to be because I have never used any type of bit-torrent and not likely to.

But!! As a matter of interest, I use CCC for my backups. If I, or anyone, was caught then would it not be possible to reboot from the CCC disk and format the system and reload from CCC? Or is that too easy?

I'm really not trying to be funny, it is a genuine question.

I just re-read the above post and if necessary then please move this to one or other of the other posts :Blushing::Blushing:

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Nick Thx for answering - yes I only found the thread after I started this one. I heard about Keranger on a radio news broadcast about 4pm today, as if it had just been found out. The posts here are dated June or July 2015, so do not understand why today was so late is being announced. My apologies.
I ran adwaremedic ( already on my MBA ) and found some Genio etc, which are now history.
AdwareMedic now owned by another group Malwarebytes anti malware.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
PS I'm curious what CCC means for you? Could it be French?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
CCC is short for a cloning program called Carbon Copy Cloner. Great program.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Carbon Copy Cloner

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you keep away from Torrent and its offshoots, there is no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Carbon Copy Cloner is correct folks. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

I did look at Torrent a good while back and decided that it wasn't worth the possible hassle. If something looks too good to be true an all that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Thx for your prompt reply - I meant to ask Nick - in France - but will check it out

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Good advice - and I'm so glad and impressed that Apple users club together like this forum and share info like this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx for your prompt reply - I meant to ask Nick - in France - but will check it out

Sorry Jock, the French version, as always, is different from the U.K. version and is called Cloner Copy Carbon and abbreviated to CCC not CCC. The 'Cs' are in a different order as you can see, ot should that be C?

It took us ages to realise what they were talking about on the news when they mentioned OTAN? It is NATO!!! An IRM is an MRI and liguid gas, LPG, is GPL :Confused::Confused::Confused:

My brain cell hurts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I haven't been caught out and, as is, not likely to be because I have never used any type of bit-torrent and not likely to.

But!! As a matter of interest, I use CCC for my backups. If I, or anyone, was caught then would it not be possible to reboot from the CCC disk and format the system and reload from CCC? Or is that too easy?

I'm really not trying to be funny, it is a genuine question.

I just re-read the above post and if necessary then please move this to one or other of the other posts :Blushing::Blushing:

Just so it doesn't get missed and to quote a member from another forum loosely:
"…as there is a three day activation delay, a daily CCC clone would be useless…"…

Unless one keeps archived clone backups…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Twenty five years ago Jack it was even better. Most major centres had MUGs "Macintosh Users Group" and they used to hold monthly meetings to discuss new machines, new technology, freeware, software etc etc. Mine, the Sydney Macintosh Users Group" or SMUG, published a thirty page monthly newsletter with new machine info, and more and more and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Still lot's of active "Macintosh Users Groups" around, even though I no longer belong to our Victoria BC group, and Apple supplies a place to search if anyone is interested at:
http://www.apple.com/usergroups/

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
D'acccord- et si, si,si - et si vous etes français, je vous complement parce que vous écrivez si bien en anglais.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Only one thing to say here, this thread has led to a torrent of witty and helpful guys forming a Collective with Computers in Common ,who are on the ball - follow this forum avidly, and seem to have laptops attached to their hip. On a different tack, Macs run and run and run, I'm reticent to get rid of the three old-timers in the loft - an LC11 - 24 years old - still working fine - like two bulbous iMacs from the 90s -graphite and blueberry ---- a Mac Genius when asked said they could be worth something as an "antique" in the not too distant future,( doubt it) but I think they would have to be pristine. And mine most definitely ain't.
And guys - I'm prepared to draw a line under this thread - I've got other fish to fry - like a lot of people out there - there are not enough hours in the day to do anything on my todo list which is getting longer by the minute. Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That must Gaelic Scots Jack! ABout half a dozen Down Under and nearest 350 miles away so don't think I will bother going tonight lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be covered in that case PM, because I don't have any reason to back up more that every week, or so.

Harry, you would be a bunch of GUMS here mate :p:p Something for you to get yer teeth into at meetings me-thinks ;D

Nobody has answered my question as to if doing a reformat and CCC reload would clear it? After all the system doesn't get a look in when you do a boot and select the boot device from power on does it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.