STOP Safari and utility.js from loading up at start up.

Reaction score
This question has been asked many times on different forums with working fixes given...but the fixes can't work for me because my situation is a little different...When I start my system it automatically opens up Safari with this in the address bar "file:///Library/SystemMigration/History/Migration-B9EC8EEC-C7F0-4FB1-9CE3-C14BFA281BC6/QuarantineRoot/System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/Safari.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Utilities.js" The file it opens is "utilities.js" which talks about utilities. I do not have Safari as my default browser. I don't not have it to "open at login" in my dock setting. I do not have it in my startup/login settings. I want it to stop opening up at login. When doing a search I cannot find that file nor that folder listed in the address bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download Malwarebytes for Mac and run Scan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try downloading Find Any File.app and use it to find and maybe delete, or at least relocate the offending file and then, maybe Restart:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. IN addition to the advice given already, when you shut down make sure that "Reopen windows when logging back in" is unchecked.

OP
S
Reaction score
Download Malwarebytes for Mac and run Scan.

I downloaded Malwarebytes and the scan revealed two trojans -- one was "Genieo"; it got installed when I updated Flash, although I stopped the updating when I saw junk was being installed so "Genieo" didn't do any of the reported things it's supposed to do, the launcher never installed. The other trojan's name I forgot. Well they're gone but my problem persisted...will give final results in my next response to the second person who helped me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Try downloading Find Any File.app and use it to find and maybe delete, or at least relocate the offending file and then, maybe Restart:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

So Malwarebytes found two trojans but deleting them did not solve my problem. I downloaded Find Any File and found the file. I didn't want to delete it as it seemed it was a.js file needed by Safari. Clicking on "get info" told me that Safari was chosen to open all .js files; I then changed .js files to open with Text Edit. I restarted my system and this time "utilities.js" was opened by Text Edit. I went to my system preferences login items and the file was there and so I removed it from launching with reboot. No it was not there before, I have just a few things in my login prefs and I checked multiple times and all I saw were the files I put there and about three files which I need activated upon start up. I rebooted and problem is now solved. I am going to reassociate .js files with Safari now that I don't have one in the login prefs. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Wow SweetVenom, that's quite a procedure you did and a lot more sleuthing than I would have expected you to use.

Anyway, congratulations on finding and fixing your problem, and keep FAF handy as I'm sure you'll find a need for it again. I find it a Godsend for a lot of stuff.

And as you probably know by know, .js files are javascript files used by your browser and can be opened with a text editor like TextEdit as you did. And congratulations on your method to track it all down and glad to hear you found Find Any File useful.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.