PDF File Compression Without Losing Resolution

Reaction score
I have a scanned file that I have saved as a pdf. I need to resize to upload but needs to be 1.0m and under. I don't want to lose resolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a scanned file that I have saved as a pdf. I need to resize to upload but needs to be 1.0m and under. I don't want to lose resolution.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Not sure what you mean by '1.0m' - I'm assuming that '1 MB' is the likely answer - correct? You might want to tells us about your computer (model/year), OS X installed, and also the current size of the PDF file.

But to address your question, there are a number of options: 1) Free online services - just google 'free online PDF compression'; 2) Using Adobe software; and 3) Using 'Preview' which is an app and part of OS X - see the image below (arrow) where I've opened a PDF in Preview, then under 'File' chose 'Export' -> 'Quartz Filter' -> 'Reduce File Size'.

Now, keep in mind that 'how much' a PDF file can be compressed will depend on many factors - take a look at these links which more thoroughly discusses the choices given above - Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 - Dave

ADDENDUM: In Finder, a right-click on a PDF file will bring up the context menu which includes a compression option into a ZIP file - and most forums allow these to be uploaded, so just another consideration.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.34.51 AM.png

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.