How to change my location in weather App on the Dashboard ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the weather App in the Dashboard and it currently has the place name ' Cupertino '. Obviously the weather symbols (sunshine, rain etc) underneath the name 'Cupertino' only relate to Cupertino and are therefore irrelevant. When I click on it, it opens Yahoo Weather. On that page I can change my location but I have no idea how to change it on weather App in Dashboard. How do I change that to my location or nearest city ?

Not a huge problem, just a niggling annoyance.

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you hover your mouse over the widget, a small I appears in the bottom right hand corner. Click that to change the city.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello Vansmith,

I tried that and it won't change to ANY city or location.....as a test I entered 'Los Angeles' and 'New York' and it said ' no cities found' !! ......and it will not go back to the original appearance even once ' done ' is clicked !

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mine have also quit responding to any change with exactly the same response.

I was using 3 widgets - only tried with one of them - not touching the others.

M

MacInWin

I has that a few months ago. I deleted the widget then re-downloaded and reinstalled and it worked. I'm not touching it to test, sorry.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moves widget no longer works either.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Gee, I haven't used Dashboard for ages. All the widgets I used to use are now duplicated on the home screen of my browser eg Weather, Currency converter, news feeds etc. What widgets do people use these days? Perhaps we could start a new thread to find out?
As to the original question, deleting and downloading a new copy sounds like the most likely solution assuming they are updated from time to time but I'm not sure they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

M

MacInWin

When I installed El Cap nothing changed on my dashboard. And I use it daily. I have two weather widgets and a calculator that is very handy, along with a screenshot widget that puts the options all in one click. As I said, I'm there at least once a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I has that a few months ago. I deleted the widget then re-downloaded and reinstalled and it worked. I'm not touching it to test, sorry.

Where are widgets stored?
Does the App Store have individual widgets listed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake, but I don't see The Weather Channel widget at all. There are several other weather widgets, some for other parts of the world than I live in. When I search for TWC Mac widget, I get CNET and MacUpdate sites.

Here is a link to the latter: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25004/the-weather-channel-widget

I've heard bad things about CNET "infecting" your computer with ads. Does MacUpdate do that too? Want to be careful. I don't download many things, in fact, until getting El Capitan, I only downloaded updates to software I already had from the developers of same. So, I've never had the need for AdWareMedic and the like. Maybe I will need it soon, eh?

M

MacInWin

I got from there the TWC widget, but it doesn't seem to be there. If you get the widget from macupdate, read every screen you see very carefully and make sure to deselect the authority to install anything else. They have started 'bundling' other apps with there downloads and piggybacking on the authority to install what you want to install what THEY want.

I did go back to the Apple location and looked for weather widgets for you.

There is this one there: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/information/weatherbuglocalweather.html

Have no idea if it will work or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Yeah, I found that too. Haven't tried it. I went ahead and Downloaded the TWC widget from MacUpdate, but I don't have a Widgets folder in my ~/Library folder. I do in the HD/Library folder, and "Weather" is one that was found there. (The one I downloaded is called TWCi) I tried restoring the "Weather" one from my TM backup, just by finding that folder and dragging it to the real location. That didn't change anything, namely, the "Done" button does nothing. Maybe 10.11.4 will fix this issue. One can only hope...

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

That's not how I installed the widget. If you go to Dashboard in the lower left corner is a +- symbol. Click on the + and all the widgets the dashboard is aware of appear. You can then do a search from the top of that screen where there is a search entry. I think I went to download folder, selected the widget, then copied it, opened that dashboard page and dropped it there with a CMD-V. Not sure, it's been a while. But if you select the "More Widgets" from the screen with the +- on it, that takes you to the Apple website and I think if you download from there that way it ends up in the list. I'm working from a memory here (and those cells died a long time ago).

NOPE: just tested it and the way to install a widget is to go to the Dashboard, select the +- symbol +, and then More Widgets. That takes you to the Apple site. Download the widget from there into your download folder, then go there and if it is a .zip file, unzip it, otherwise it should be a .wdgt file. Right click (cmd-click) and select Run and it will offer to install to your dashboard, agree and voila! Now that it is on the list, simply click it and it will appear on the Dashboard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's back! The only other thing I did was reboot. So dragging the old one from the TM backup worked.

M

MacInWin

Great! Glad you got it back. Reboots do have a marvelous "healing" property every once in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Glad you got it back. Reboots do have a marvelous "healing" property every once in a while.

But yet many recommend never shutting down and just letting it sleep...

M

MacInWin

But yet many recommend never shutting down and just letting it sleep...
Two different things. I don't shut down most of the time, but sometimes I have to reboot to get rid of some strange condition. I'd say I do a reboot about 2-3 times a month, otherwise my MPB is running 24/7/365 (or 366 this year).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rebooting once in a while isn't all that bad of an idea. While it is a bit of an overkill approach to solving issues, it is often the easiest way to clear up free memory and solve any issues with errant processes.

Back to the topic at hand - it's probably best to find a third party solution. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple removed it at some point. In the meantime, there's always the weather widget in the notification panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.