apple id problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
When I first bought my iMac back in 2011 I do not remember setting up an apple id? When I updated my operating system to El Capitan, I had to create an apple id. The process would not let me do this without giving a credit card number, which I did not want to do. The option was there but if I selected it and then tried to continue it would not let me. Anyway, a couple of years ago, the company I work for made me get an iPhone. In setting it up I had to create an apple id. So I used that one to upgrade to El Capitan. Now apple will not let me accept any updates, I believe with the exception of El Capitan, as I think I have updated it once since installing? For other updates I get a message saying that there is a problem with the apple id (I am using the one from work as I do not believe I have another) and that the application was purchased by another user? The updates available right now are garage band and iMovie, two things I will never use. I just am updating them to get rid of the messages telling me updates are available.
Any suggestions on how to proceed would be very welcome.
Thanks
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You would have supplied all the information when you downloaded El Capitan. That credit card thing surely applies here in Australia. Have heard anywhere outside USA this is a requirement but you have not shown this in your avatar.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
harryb2448, I updated El Capitan 4 years after initially buying my iMac. My problem is that the information (apple id) I used to download El Capitan does not match whatever information I had to give when I first bought the computer in 2011 (don't remember creating an apple id at that time or really supplying much of any kind of information?).
Regards
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Dan if you updated to El Capitan via the App Store you did create an Apple ID which consisted of your email address and selected password.

Try this. You will have to use your email address from the time you upgraded:-

https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448, I don't think I am explaining myself very well. I know I have an Apple ID. The timeline is as follows:

- 2011 - bought my iMac - do not remember creating an Apple ID at this time
- about 2014 - company made me get an iPhone and at that time I created an Apple ID
- about 2 months ago - upgraded to El Capitan - at this time tried to create a new Apple ID, however, would not let me have one without giving credit card information. So I used the Apple ID I have created in 2014 when I got the iPhone.
- Apple will now not let me have any updates, except the El Capitan ones, with the Apple ID I created when I got the iPhone. I gives me a message which says that the Apple ID cannot be used as the software (guitar band, iMovies, etc) was purchased by another user?

However, I will try using your link above with the email address I was using when I bought the iMac originally, maybe I did create an Apple ID at that time?

Thanks for the help
Dan

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, tried both of my personal email addresses, no Apple ID to be found, so the one with my work email is my only one and Apple won't let me get updates with it? I guess I will have to make a new one and give them credit card info. However, then I will have two Apple IDs. The problem is that I plan to retire within a few months and then the Apple ID associated with my El Capitan update will no longer have an active email address?
Dan

M

MacInWin

In 2011 you probably DID create an AppleID. It's pretty hard to get beyond the opening of OS X for the first time without doing that. If the link doesn't sort it out, you may have to call Apple support. While they cannot give you the password to your original account, they may be able to simply delete it and let you start over. Of course, any purchases on that account will go away.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake, guess I will have to call Apple support. If I did create one, it had to be with one of the only two email addresses I have ever used? and neither of those showed up an Apple ID when i searched them? I would have never made any purchases with the original Apple id. However, when I retire and my work email is not longer active, will I still be able to use the Apple ID created with that, as if that ID gets deleted, I will lose my El Capitan update?

Thanks
Dan

M

MacInWin

Your Apple ID and you email have nothing linked. Apple asked for an email address as a login name just to make it easy. When you retire and your work email is not active, it can still be used as your login AppleID. You can change your email associated with the account by logging in to your Apple ID and look for how to manage your account.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. So then, I assume there is not really any problem in having 2 Apple id's associated with my computer? Thanks again, you have been very helpful.
Dan

M

MacInWin

No, there are problems with having two AppleIDs that will jump up and make life miserable for you. I made a mistake and set up an AppleID on my MBP, but then when I got an iPhone, I set up another, not realizing that what they wanted was for me to enter my MBP AppleID. Now I, too, have two, and it's a PITA. Have to be very careful about which account I happen to be using at any time when I buy apps for my iPhone or Apps for my MBP. If I get it wrong, then updates may not appear because I bought the software in account1 and am logged into account2. I don't buy a ton of applications for the MBP, so I forget it every once in a while and wonder why I'm getting told by the application that an update exists but the App Store didn't suggest I update it. And Apple won't let anyone merge accounts, so I'm stuck with it until they change the policy. Now add that my wife has her own AppleID and I'm trying to manage/remember three accounts. But in your case you say you didn't buy anything with the original AppleID, so maybe it won't be a problem for you. Just keep to that plan and it may not be as much of a PITA as my situation.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully I can get along with the two until the time I need a new computer, not sure it will be an Apple product though, getting a little frustrated with their policies.
Thanks again, Jake, tried to give you some Reputation, however, the forum won't let me until I give some to someone else first?
Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.