Sensitivity of Trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
Can anything be done to reduce the sensitivity of the trackpad? I have it set so that the click is at firm but just moving around the screen I keep picking things up by accident. Mostly I spot it but occasionally something gets moved.

It makes me nervous because it is easy to mess things up.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just in case some folks may be confused by the question. Are you referring to the new "Force Touch" feature of newer Apple notebook trackpads? If this feature is causing you concern. Turn it off for a more "traditional" trackpad experience.:)

- Nick

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio M1 Max 2022 32 Gb RAM, 512 Gb SSD; MacBook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro Both on Ventura 13.1
This is with the force touch feature switched off!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is with the force touch feature switched off!!

If this is the case. How do you have the trackpad set so that the "click is set to firm" as mentioned in post #1??

I believe that the "firmness setting" (light, medium, firm) is ONLY applicable if the Force Touch feature is active. If you've turned Force Touch off…then this firmness setting has no meaning. And if you are getting accidental trackpad clicks with force touch turned off…then you need to be more careful how you accidentally touch the trackpad (just like all of us).:)

By the way. Since "Force Touch" is only available on newer 2015 MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, and the Magic Trackpad 2…it may be helpful to let us know which of your computers you are having trouble with. Your Mac-Forums profile mentions a 2015 iMac and an Early 2013 MacBook Pro.:)

- Nick

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is with the new iMac using a trackpad 2. I am used to using the trackpad on the MBP and that is OK. I am typing this on the MBP and to pick anything up I have to press it quite firmly so that it clicks. It is very obvious when you are doing it.

Not so on the iMac! The one on the iMac is so sensitive that I pick things up while I am just navigating the screen. It is so sensitive that I don't seem able to stop doing it. It is not just a question of not touching the trackpad!!

I had wondered about the light to firm click option but it is not greyed out even when I have deselected the force touch option. Just checking between the two (which I should have done before!!) I see that tap to click is deselected on MBP so I have just deselected it on the iMac. I will have to use it for a while to see how much difference it makes.

I will report back!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is with the new iMac using a trackpad 2. I am used to using the trackpad on the MBP and that is OK. I am typing this on the MBP and to pick anything up I have to press it quite firmly so that it clicks. It is very obvious when you are doing it.

Not so on the iMac! The one on the iMac is so sensitive that I pick things up while I am just navigating the screen. It is so sensitive that I don't seem able to stop doing it. It is not just a question of not touching the trackpad!!

From what you are describing…you are having issues with the "physical click"…of the Magic Trackpad 2 with your iMac. As we know…there are two ways to "click" with an Apple trackpad. The "touch click" and the "physical click".

Since you are having trouble with the Magic TrackPad 2...I think what's happening here is…a learning curve going from years of experience with the trackpad of a MacBook Pro…to a new experience with the larger Magic Trackpad 2. They are two different input devices…and will act differently (need more/less physical force to produce a "physical click"). Basically the new Magic Trackpad needs to be treated differently (can't press on it as hard or lean on it as hard as the MacBook Pro trackpad).

Both the MacBook Pro trackpad & the Magic Trackpad are hinged at the top (edge furthest from you). The closer you press to this front edge to produce a physical click…the more pressure that's necessary. The closer to the rear of each trackpad (the edge or side closest to you)…the less pressure needed to produce a physical click.

99% there's nothing wrong with the Magic Trackpad 2. It's more than likely a user-style difference between the two trackpads.:)

- Nick

OP
spock999
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think there was anything wrong with it! I just found it very difficult to use because of the sensitivity. Maybe I am just too ham-fisted!! Although my wife who is new to the trackpad was also having the same difficulties.

Anyway, after deselecting tap top click, we are much happier and can use it without doing too many things by accident.

Reaction score
overly sensitive trackpad.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it! I just found it very difficult to use because of the sensitivity. Maybe I am just too ham-fisted!! Although my wife who is new to the trackpad was also having the same difficulties.

Anyway, after deselecting tap top click, we are much happier and can use it without doing too many things by accident.

I have the same problem with a 2015 12" macbook with Force Touch trackpad. Before this I had a 2011 11" Air, with no similar problem, and before that a 2006 Macbook - again, no problem. I am fairly sure my giant thumbs brush the trackpad occasionally, causing the majority of the cursor skips and unintended highlighting, but there should be a setting that directs the trackpad to ignore input while the keyboard is in use. I don't like the idea that this is all the user's fault with our careless, hammy hands and unwieldy thumbs, as we have all used computers with trackpads before, and without this sensitivity problem. I also find that most people complaining of this have Force touch trackpads - the normal trackpads still on Airs, for example, don't seem to have this problem, though it's surely not true that all Air users have graceful hands! I hope Apple addresses this sometime soon, as it's the only thing spoiling my experience with my new computer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.