Lost Document

Reaction score
I was using TextEdit yesterday and I made a long document and saved it and exited the program. When I opened the document today it was missing all the data I had typed in yesterday. Is there any way to get that data back? I am not using Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was using TextEdit yesterday and I made a long document and saved it and exited the program. When I opened the document today it was missing all the data I had typed in yesterday. Is there any way to get that data back? I am not using Time Machine.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Well, the issue is whether the file was indeed saved? I just opened TextEdit on my MBPro and typed in a short sentence when closing the app, I was asked to save the file to the Desktop (see the screen capture below) - so, do you have a file stored on your Desktop (assuming you've not changed any of the defaults for the program)? If not, did you give the file a name - if so, then use Spotlight (the little magnifying glass in the right upper corner), type in the name, and see if the file is saved in another folder - if still not found, then I suspect the document you typed is lost - Dave
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 12.41.45 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, if all you did was type, save, reopen and the typing is not there, then it is nowhere. Something went wrong with the Save. So now you will be sure to have a backup, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.