faxing via iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i found download for FAX for free from the mac downloads site..
is that all i need to fax a document?
OR do i need a modem or something else?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you be more specific? What faxing application did you get? What downloads site did you use? Are you trying to do this through iCloud for a particular reason?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
i found download for FAX for free from the mac downloads site..
is that all i need to fax a document?
OR do i need a modem or something else?

Can you be more specific? What faxing application did you get? What downloads site did you use? Are you trying to do this through iCloud for a particular reason?

Hi Lori.... - agree w/ Vansmith, please provide some additional information; e.g. do you mean the Apple Mac App store? Just was there and entered 'Fax' as a search and was shown numerous apps (see screen capture below) - did you obtain one of those apps? Also, 'iCloud' is Apple's cloud storage, so I suspect your question is whether you can 'fax' over the internet rather than using a traditional telephone line - correct?

Now I'm not sure 'how' you are receiving your internet signal but for most a cable or DSL modem is needed (usually combined or attached to a router) unless you are using a satellite ISP - SO, which app did you obtain, how are you getting your internet, and provide the specifics on your computer/OS X - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 11.43.02 AM.png

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van smith...
I love my MacBook and converting from PC to Mac was not all that bad. Learning is so rewarding and even more so when I get things to work the way I like!

I did not download any app yet. I found one five star free one on mac update.com site.....pamfax 4.1.0

I mentioned icloud(obviously don't know what I am talking about)
Thought I could just upload a fax app and use iCloud to send fax as I don't have modem connection other than wifi.
Tho reading more about pamfax , there seems to be a charge to send fax.
Is it feasible that fax be sent via wifi on MacBook?

RadDave...
See you replied also. Thank you.
I saw the fax apps you showed but they were all purchase. I wuld not use fax too often and so don't really want to buy an app.

Whether I could fax over Internet rather than ph.....Yes that is exactly what I was wondering. I have 1 modem box ( guess that is called the router) connected to my old PC which i rarely use now that I have converted to Apple. I get my wifi connection from that router box also. I used to fax from PC but think it was thru phone line.
Am not too techy so not sure what other info I can give you.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did some googling and found that I cannot fax from MacBook only using wifi. The router has to be connected to ph line. Right now my phone line is Going thru my PC. So I am assuming that if I remove phone connect from my PC and connect phone line directly to router that wuld allow me to fax via wifi.

And of course if I chose to fax from my PC (unlikely unless I cannot get things to work) I wuld just have to connect phone line to PC again.
Am I correct in my guessing???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Did some googling and found that I cannot fax from MacBook only using wifi. The router has to be connected to ph line. Right now my phone line is Going thru my PC. So I am assuming that if I remove phone connect from my PC and connect phone line directly to router that wuld allow me to fax via wifi.

And of course if I chose to fax from my PC (unlikely unless I cannot get things to work) I wuld just have to connect phone line to PC again.
Am I correct in my guessing???

Hi again - you can certainly fax from your MacBook over your Wi-Fi internet connection and there are a number of options; of course, the ones in the Mac App Store - I just looked at a few and most are indeed available at a cost either for the app and/or for sending a fax - if done over the internet, a phone line connection is not needed.

Your other option is to use an online fax service (just google 'fax online free') - many of these offer 'free trials', so you could sign-up, do your faxing, then quit the trial or you might find one that is indeed free (often limited service), e.g. look at THIS ONE. SO, there are internet options w/ either an app on your laptop or via an online service. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.