• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Move iMovie files to external hard drive

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My niece became a Mac user about a year ago. She needed a computer for junior high and also wanted to experiment with iMovie a bit. She is now running out of space on the smallish flash drive and is down to less than 2 GB of free space. She hasn't experienced significant slowdowns yet but I taught her well and she knows this situation cannot continue.

I had her run Grand Perspective last night and it looks like the two largest space hogs at the moment are iMovie's library and the iPhoto/Photos library. She has an external drive drive (1 TB) so what I'd like to do is move this files to the external drive. Can folks who use these two programs more than I do suggest a best practice method of moving these files and causing as little disruption/confusion when further editing is done. Keep in mind the following:

1. Don't have the exact machine/OS specs since I forgot to confirm that last night. Don't think it is El Capitan.
2. iMovie is the most recent version I think.

She has a Time machine backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
For iPhoto and Photos drag and drop the Library files onto the external drive. Open iPhoto/Photo while holding down the Alt/Option key. A window will pop up with options to Choose or Create a Library. Just navigate to the Libraries on the external drive and select. In the future, the applications should go straight to the external Libraries. When she's happy that the external Libraries are working correctly, she can the delete the ones on the Mac.

If she bought her Mac new a year ago, then she'll have the latest iMovie. As above, drag the iMovie Library file to the external. To avoid confusion later, rename that file External iMovie Library(or similar).

Open iMovie. Go File Menu>Open Library>External iMovie Library. If she then selects the original iMovie Library in iMovie's Sidebar(hence the rename), she can then go File Menu>Close Menu, she can the close the Library on her Mac. Once again, when she's happy that the Library on the external drive is working fine, she can delete the original on the Mac.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. Most of what I was finding in searches was for iMovie '11 and older. I know her version is newer. You may have helped me retain my status as family computer genius.

Reaction score
For iPhoto and Photos drag and drop the Library files onto the external drive. Open iPhoto/Photo while holding down the Alt/Option key. A window will pop up with options to Choose or Create a Library. Just navigate to the Libraries on the external drive and select. In the future, the applications should go straight to the external Libraries. When she's happy that the external Libraries are working correctly, she can the delete the ones on the Mac.

If she bought her Mac new a year ago, then she'll have the latest iMovie. As above, drag the iMovie Library file to the external. To avoid confusion later, rename that file External iMovie Library(or similar).

Open iMovie. Go File Menu>Open Library>External iMovie Library. If she then selects the original iMovie Library in iMovie's Sidebar(hence the rename), she can then go File Menu>Close Menu, she can the close the Library on her Mac. Once again, when she's happy that the Library on the external drive is working fine, she can delete the original on the Mac.

I'm new to most of this...but what had me confused for awhile is that when you have an external drive engaged that has copies of iMovie files on it, when you go into the libraries it shows BOTH the libraries that are on the external drive and on the computer. That really had me going for awhile until I realized one was on the external and the other on the computer. Even viewing the libraries using the computer's iMovie app also showed both libraries. I didn't expect that. Once I disconnected the external, then of course only one library appeared. For awhile I was determined to try and merge the two until I realized they were in separate locations....Like I said...I'm pretty new at this yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
when you go into the libraries it shows BOTH the libraries that are on the external drive and on the computer. That really had me going for awhile until I realized one was on the external and the other on the computer.
Hence the reason for renaming the Library on the external drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You may have helped me retain my status as family computer genius.

Sly, I'm sure that will never be in doubt:D

As you are, like most of us, an ambassador for proper backups, you might remind your niece that once she has moved her iPhoto/Photos and iMovie library to an EHD and deleted the originals to free up space, she no longer has any BU. So she will have to clone or otherwise BU her EHD.

But you knew that already, Boss;D

Ian

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good thought. I think she is keeping good backups but I will ask just to be sure.

She hit me with a different iMovie question a few days ago. I'll probably be posting something about that later. Google has no been too forthcoming.

Edit: I remember her saying she has a Time Machine backup (see post 1). I might look into whether her computer is one of the ones that now has replacement drives available. She really needs a larger drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.