problems after encrypting external usb drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple years now. I've been using 2 different usb external drives for backups with no problems to date. I use Time Machine, I also backup quicken and outlook to the external drives, and I copy a number of frequently used files directly to the external drives. I have a username password on the MacBook Pro. I just decided to encrypt the two usb external drives to keep data on them more secure. I reformatted one of the external usb drives (WD My Passport) with encryption and recreated my time machine backup with no problems. But now anytime I use finder, or path finder, to move or copy files to the external drive, I get the message "authenticated copy/move type your password to allow this" and requires my user name password to continue. If I try to backup quicken it says i don't have permission to access the drive and will not backup to the external drive. I also cannot export my outlook to the external drive.

I only want to be required to enter a password to install the usb drive. After that I want normal access to my files and to be able to move / backup as before. can anybody tell me how I configure for this? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I only want to be required to enter a password to install the usb drive. After that I want normal access to my files and to be able to move / backup as before. can anybody tell me how I configure for this? Thanks

It doesn't work that way. Anytime you use encryption to protect an external hard drive, you must enter your password in order to access the drive. Otherwise, if the drive is lost or stolen anyone then has access to its data. It works basically the same way with the internal hard drive in that you must be using a password to access the machine if encryption is employed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro 1TB SSD
Thanks for replying. I may have misspoke, I want to require a password to access the drive after connecting it to the usb port, but once it is accessed I no longer want to enter my username password to move or copy files (and it will not let me look in the documents or downloads folders that I created on the external drive. i have been adjusting the permission settings for the drive, and by using the same settings as the hard drive and usb drive quicken and outlook will now back up to the drive, but i cannot see my files in documents or downloads on the usb drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.