Icon labelling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Retina 4K 2019
Being an elderly chap I find words (y'know - series of letters arranged in a meaningful sequence) easier to cope with than icons - especially when the icons get changed!

Would it be possible to fix the labels of the icons at the bottom of the screen to speed up my access to the program I want to use? Yes, I know I can see the labels as I move the
pointer along but having them fixed/tied down would help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Being an elderly chap I find words (y'know - series of letters arranged in a meaningful sequence) easier to cope with than icons - especially when the icons get changed!

Would it be possible to fix the labels of the icons at the bottom of the screen to speed up my access to the program I want to use? Yes, I know I can see the labels as I move the pointer along but having them fixed/tied down would help. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I don't believe that in System Preferences -> Dock that there is a way to add labels to the icons in the dock; but hovering over each will instantaneously bring up the label (at least in the recent OS Xs - which one is installed on your computer?).

When Apple decided to use red rather than blue for the color of the iTunes icon a few OS X versions ago, many including me wanted the blue back - necessitated finding the blue icon, then converting to the appropriate icon file extension, i.e. *.icns, and using the 'Get Info' dialog box of the iTunes app and dragging or pasting on the new icon - it worked - I might have read this DISCUSSION to help - take a look at the link.

NOW, to put a label on the icon itself can be tedious if wanting to do many, but I did one and will explain w/ the attached screen captures below; in the first image, I have an app called 'RAV FileHub' - right clicking and using the 'Get Info' selection, the dialog box on the left opens and the app's icon is enlarged at the bottom; using CMD-SHIFT-4, I did a 'screen capture' of the icon which was saved to the desktop as a *.png file (interconnected blue arrow); in Preview, I added a label to the image, then using an app called 'iConvert Icons' (again, check the link for several options), I changed the extension to an icon image, and then pasted (or could be dragged) onto the smaller top icon of the 'RAV FileHub' app's 'Get Info' dialog box - in the second image below the app's icon is now changed w/ a label - this could be placed in the Dock, if desired.

Hopefully, someone might have a quicker suggestion, and once done the process is likely much quicker - but why bother? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 12.20.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 1.00.37 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.