• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

playing.pt files

Reaction score
I created a slideshow in iMovie which was subsequently saved as a .pvt file. Is there anything I can use to open this file and play it?
or is there anything I can use to convert it to a more suitable viewing medium.
What is the point of a pet file? I have googled and googled and really can't see an answer. Any help or guidance would help this new
slideshow creator.
Thanks Guys:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which version of iMovie are you using, and how, exactly, did you manage to save your slideshow as a .pvt file?

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm using version 10.1.1 today. As to how it was saved to a .pvt file I have no idea. I had exported the whole to a dvdWhen I saw the file I assumed that it was a Mac file but when I clicked on it of course it said it couldn't be opened and to check on the app store. However all the pvt apps don't appear to have a good write up on the apps store so I haven't done anything.
I'm not to keen on iMovie anyway. Ive always found it slow and clunky compared to say Pictures to Exe which I used in my windows days. I have just spent a week with the Apple experts on line as one of my projects which had been duplicated would not delete. It took 9 different 'experts' and 1 rebuild of the OS and one re-install of the iMovie app before it was deleted. The app it self is still slow with the spinning wheel of death a common feature. So I have also thought about using Fotomagico or photos to movies instead.
Anyway, thats just some background. for the moment, is there any way I can use the pvt file or do I rebuild the slideshow from scratch?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I had exported the whole to a dvd
How did you do that, as iMovie can't Export/Share direct to dvd. You have to Share to file first which should produce an mp4 file. Do you not still have this file?

is there any way I can use the pvt file
Nothing comes up on google that will open that.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
From what I can see PVT files are Uncommon Files primarily associated with Local Fidonet Pointlist used for stick figure animation. But it appears they are not necessarily visual media type files. As stated unless you used a third party app any visual media exported by iMovie will be in mp4 format. this site http://www.solvusoft.com/en/file-extensions/file-extension-pvt/ is about as informative as I can find and that's not much. It might be worth looking for a mac OSX equivalent of the FileViewPro app mentioned in this article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.