Upgrading video card

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a MBP that I would like to be able to play some of the graphically intensive games currently available in the App Store.
The Specs are as below. Is it practical to attempt this? I would also like to increase RAM to 8Gb and install a 512Gb SSD to replace my flagging HDD. I suppose what I'm wondering is even if I go to all that expense will the processor handle it? Or am I better off considering a brand new MBP Retina 13 inch. This will be my primary computer for the next 4-5 years so age comes into it as well.
Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 19.07.11.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand your title Rod? You know you can't upgrade the video graphics chipset in that machine, or did you mean something else? Anyway, a new rMBP would probably be a better choice but you might want to wait a bit and see if Apple updates the rMBP line of machines. The 13" rMBP was updated last March and the 15" model last May. The Mac Buyers Guide says don't buy now. ;)

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
chacag, you understood me just fine and no, I DID NOT know that the chipset could not be upgraded. I am wholly a software person and there are many mechanical aspects of the mac I do not understand fully, obviously this being one of them. I did read the article you linked, very interesting, I think I might wait a while as suggested. Thank you very much for putting me straight and the info from the Mac Buyers Guide.:Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.