Passing mixer audio to Bluetooth headset

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My current Sunday video chat setup uses the following setup for audio:

1. Heil PR 40 mic is fed into
2. Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer which feeds the audio into my 2015 iMac.

I'm getting good audio this way though I am still learning a few tricks here and there.

I'd like to feed the audio from my Yamaha receiver into this setup so I can then feed it into the Mac and listen to the output using this headset. Getting the receiver into the mixer has been easy and I know sound is coming in because I can plug wired headphones into the mixer and check the sound. I cannot then pass that on to the USB headset. I'm probably missing something simple here. Any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
How are you feeding the receiver in? Tape inputs? ( or this one calls it 2 track) you may have to route it to the mix if you are feeding mix in to your Mac. Usually these things have a switch to route those inputs to the mix.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried it using both the two track method as well as feeding into a line in on the mixer. Both methods seem to produce good stereo sound in the sense that I can plug a headset into the headphone out on the mixer and monitor the sound. I tried feeding the two track out into a line in on the iMac (provided by a Griffin iMic). That doesn't work.

Any other suggestions.

The two connections I haven't tried are Control Room out and Main Out. I'll try those as soon as I locate the correct patch cable 1/4" to 3.5 mm. got one around here somewhere. I just gotta find it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. I'm not sure the two track out is intended for that, but I can't be sure on that mixer. You'd need to send the main out to your Mac is my thought. It's usually two mono L and R 1/4s or sometimes xlr. But needs a 2 1/4" ends on one side to go into the mains to a TRS to create the stereo signal.

To feed your stereo in, you can't just use a line in on a regular channel, you'd need to either use tape in (rca) for stereo (not sure what plug you're using from stereo) to 2 L/R 1/4" to split the signal for use on the channels that allow a separate Left right signal usually a couple channels to the right of the mono only mic pre channels.

It can be confusing using a small mixer like this as its picky about its signals and routing, I found out the hard way about sending in stereo connections when I started using a similar small makie mixer live to create my own monitor/backing track/ click mix. I sent in my backing tracks which was stereo into a mono channel and nearly had a heart attack during a show.

I now use a TRS 1/4" for stereo in my unit (like your stereo) and it splits to 2 1/4" mono and plug it into a channel that allows left and right inputs. Works great. The tape input requires pressing the "to mix" to get it in the mains. I see yours also has a control room route which, I probably wouldn't bother with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think behringer may make a smaller simpler unit that accepts stereo inputs with level controls to a singular stereo out, that may be a simpler less need for nutty cables than this mixer.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. I'm not sure the two track out is intended for that, but I can't be sure on that mixer. You'd need to send the main out to your Mac is my thought. It's usually two mono L and R 1/4s or sometimes xlr. But needs a 2 1/4" ends on one side to go into the mains to a TRS to create the stereo signal.

I now use a TRS 1/4" for stereo in my unit (like your stereo) and it splits to 2 1/4" mono and plug it into a channel that allows left and right inputs. Works great. The tape input requires pressing the "to mix" to get it in the mains. I see yours also has a control room route which, I probably wouldn't bother with.

The cable that I have temporarily misplaced is like that IIRC. I was connecting an earlier version of this mixer to the line in on my 2008 MacBook Pro.

I think behringer may make a smaller simpler unit that accepts stereo inputs with level controls to a singular stereo out, that may be a simpler less need for nutty cables than this mixer.

You seem to be misundderestimating how much fun it is to collect nutty wires for all sorts of tasks. I have an entire large storage container of said wire taking up space in a closet. My wife wishes I would get rid of the entire lot. Why do that? One of these days I might need that Mac video cable from a decade ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh. I recently built a recording studio in my basement, it was probably the biggest and most epic project ever, and I've gutted houses... I have a stupid amount of cables. By stupid,in do mean, stupid, well according to my wife. I'm actually going to order rolls of wire and connectors to begin soldering my own, mic cables are expensive as ****! I have currently 16 mic pres, and it's amazing how much 16 mic cables costs!

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh. I recently built a recording studio in my basement, it was probably the biggest and most epic project ever, and I've gutted houses... I have a stupid amount of cables. By stupid,in do mean, stupid, well according to my wife. I'm actually going to order rolls of wire and connectors to begin soldering my own, mic cables are expensive as ****! I have currently 16 mic pres, and it's amazing how much 16 mic cables costs!
OK. I concede, you've got me beat there.

I'm going to send you a PM to get your thoughts on a somewhat different audio question. I think I know the answer but would like to get someone else's thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure. If I can help, this whole experience of a studio has been a massive learning experience! After spending over 30 years in studios, it's amazing how much I never noticed!

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks to your suggestions I have this working. It worked a treat. I tested it using a 1/4" to 3.5 mm adapter connected to a cable with 2 1/4" connectors on the other end. Those connectors connect to inputs on the mixer allowing l and r channels. This is working nicely. Anything coming into the receiver can now be fed into the mixer. In order to pass the resulting audio to a Bluetooth headset on my mac I have to use something like Audio Hijack or Loopback that supports playthru. I haven't noticed any appreciable lag.

I realize this is kinda convoluted but it gives me a bit more flexibility than buying the Bluetooth adapter for my stereo. It was also cheaper than some of the bluetooth headsets that are capable of pairing with multiple devices. It only costs a few bucks for the cables and then only because I had lost the cable that would have worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meh, convoluted or not, if it works, it works! :)

The wiring behind my recording racks makes me dizzy! Not to mention the cost of cables. Yikes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.