need Canon SD550 help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 powerbook 1Ghz 728mb ram
Ok I just purshased a gem of a camera, the Canon Powershot SD550 that works beautifully. But I have one question which I haven't found in the user's guide! How do I download the short videos that I have taken on this camera to my computer. Macs are work seemlessly with Canon cameras but the problem is that my camera does not have a disk image on the desktop when I plug the camera in. can someone help me with loading videos onto my Powerbook?

thanks
john

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
how do you get the pictures onto your computer? iMovie usually imports my digital camera videos fine....What do you use to import the pics?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am not sure about Canon's but an Olympus and 2 HP's that I have worked with had a setting in the camera setup to change it to a disk drive mode and then the icon apeared on the desktop. Check in the Setup menu on the Camera and see if you find any setting like that under USB settings. That is where it was on the cameras I listed above.

Update: I just downloaded both manuals for the SD550 and also talked to a Canon Digital Rebel XT user. There seems to be no mode in setup to allow the disc icon to mount on the desktop. Am still looking around and if I find a way I will get back to you.

OP
mustardradio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 powerbook 1Ghz 728mb ram
macAttack said:
how do you get the pictures onto your computer? iMovie usually imports my digital camera videos fine....What do you use to import the pics?
I use iphoto because that ist the only program that can read the program. The camera does not show up as a disk on the computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Connect your camera to you computer, turn your camera on, put it into play mode. Then use Image Capture. I usually just take out the memory card and connect it to an external reader, or I sometimes use iView Media Pro to import it directly into my catalog.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.