Bootcamp 6.0.1 issues

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been trying for 2 days now to try and install Windows 10 on a friends iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) running El Capitan version 10.11.3 and bootcamp version 6.0.1, but every time I try I will get a black screen with a blinking cursor after bootcamp has finished creating the Mac drivers to USB and partitioning the drive. (a 1TB drive in total that is only using approx 20GB for OSX, and I partitioned 300GB for the Windows area in bootcamp leaving plenty of room for OSX)

Please note that the DVD drive on the machine isn't working so I am using an external one I use for work. Also, I was informed that the Mid 2011 version of this computer doesn't support booting of USB's. Not that this is the issue as the external DVD drive works fine.

No matter how many times I attempt this, I will get the same result. However, if I hold the Option Key on boot which will then give me a choice of what to boot to, it will show the Mac HD, the Recovery area, the Windows disk and an EFI. If I select the Windows disk, I get the same result as above, but if I select the EFI icon it will actually start the install of Windows 10, but it will fail at the part where you choose which partition to install to.

Once I am at this window, I notice that there is an alert, and when I expand the alert to read it, it will state that 'The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks'. As well as, 'Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS'.

I figure that this is what the article (an official one from Apple) is referring to and why they say to hit Format, so I select the Bootcamp partition and hit Format. It will then format the partition. (I thought Bootcamp would have done this already?) However, this will still fail, and the alert message at the bottom will now state, (same as the alert message before, but it seems to have at least formatted the disk to NTFS now) 'The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks'.

The strange this is with Bootcamp 6.0.1, is that when I first start the procedure, it will give me the option to install Windows 7 or later. I thought that Bootcamp 6 didn't support Windows 7 installs and was only for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10? I will gladly install Windows 7 instead if I am able to, and then upgrade to 10 later if my friend wishes to.

I will also say that this is the first time that I have used a Mac as I normally work with Windows based systems, but if there is anything you would like me to do on the Mac, just let me know as I would really like to get this solved if I can. I have now removed the Bootcamp partition via Bootcamp so the Mac drive is whole again. I am more than willing to try whatever you think may help.

Regards,

Richard

I am in the UK, so if I don't reply immediately, please know I will. It was 00:30hrs when I posted this and I have to be on-site tomorrow very early.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go ahead and install Windows 7 (which should work) and afterward upgrade him to Windows 10 using your Win 7 Key. I don't believe you can directly install Windows 10 on that machine, but I may be wrong.

And Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Sorry for the lateness of the reply, but I have just got in from work.

I have just booted up the machine and accessed Bootcamp to remove the partition, but I get the following error stating that the disk could not be restored to a single partition. I assume that this is due to Bootcamp originally partitioned it one way, and when I selected Format, during the previous attempt to install Windows 10, it screwed up the way that Bootcamp normally removes the Bootcamp partition to return the disk back to one single partition.

So before I attempt you suggestion to instead install Windows 7 instead of 10, how do I return the partition back to one single partition?

Here are some screenshots showing the drive state in Disk Utility:

Showing whole Mac HDD with split partition

Showing old Bootcamp partition that I Bootcamp was unable to restore back to one whole single partition

Showing info on old Bootcamp partition

Regards,

Richard

OP
T
Reaction score
Update on my previous reply (unable to see my original post or any replies for some reason?)

I was able to erase my bootcamp partition in the end and create one single Mac HD again by using the bootcamp tool. (had to format the partition as FAT and then the bootcamp tool would allow me to fix the partition)

So I have tried to install Windows 7, using bootcamp, as I did with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but I still run in to the black screen with a blinking cursor. However, when I attempt to select the EFI option (I get to this by holding the Option Key on boot and selecting EFI. The Windows one results in the black screen issue) the computer will freeze as soon as I select it and hit Enter. When I was doing this whilst trying to install Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, I could at least get to the Windows install and start the process. Doing the same with Windows 7 just freezes everything. (Apple mouse/keyboard/USB mouse)

Is there a way to create mt own partition without using Bootcamp as it seems that bootcamp is unable to do this correctly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.