Mac.com domain

P

Paramag

Last week I received a seemingly genuine bank receipt notification for 2015 tax purposes from [email protected] instead of from the regular TD domain. I did not recognize the origin so contacted TD who asked me to send it to phishing at TD, then delete. The strange thing is that the message contained no "bait" such as "Click here" for info or any sign of a hidden URL. Has anyone received similar messages? Does anyone know the origin of the suspect domain? I checked my iMac for malware and it is clean; no sign of keyword logging.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, we have no idea who "TD" is, and if it has to do with a financial institute, there is no way they would send you a receipt from a mac.com address. Don't worry about it and certainly do not respond to any messages or inquiries from unknown addresses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The strange thing is that the message contained no "bait" such as "Click here" for info or any sign of a hidden URL.

By "TD" I'm assuming you're either talking about TD Bank or TD Ameritrade.

Nothing really strange about the message you received…just a different way of some nefarious person trying to get your personal info. Worst case scenario is if the email asked you to send personal info (by literally typing that info into a reply message). Or at a minimum…they've confirmed that a "living person" is on the other end of this email address (if you replied to it)…and then you'll get 10x the spam from this person.

- Nick

OP
P

Paramag

Thanks chscag and pigoo3 for your advice. I informed the TD Bank authorities and they are looking into it. The spammer timed the email well since the information slip appeared in my account just 11 days before. I suspect an inside job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.