Mac vs PC jpeg compatability

Reaction score
I have a Macbook. I recently imported my photos from my vacation onto my Mac from my camera. This organized great in iPhoto. Then I imported the photos onto a flash drive, (formatted FAT32), and when I put them on my PC, Windows Photo Viewer will not open the photos. Is this a compatibilty issue? And how can I make this happen?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

What format are they on the flash drive? How did you "import" them to the drive? If you put them there in a standard format (jpeg, for example) then Windows viewer should show them just fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then I imported the photos onto a flash drive, (formatted FAT32), and when I put them on my PC, Windows Photo Viewer will not open the photos. Is this a compatibilty issue? And how can I make this happen?

Did you format the flash drive with your Mac or was it pre-formatted from the factory to FAT-32? A jpeg is the same on a Mac as it is on Windows so it sounds like the flash drive might be the culprit.

OP
P
Reaction score
Maybe the flash drive is corrupt because the message a got on my pc said the file may be corrupt, but they open fine on my mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
On the flash drive they are ".jpg". I imported them by just dragging from iPhoto to the flash drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do that all the time and they always work fine on any machine. I just cleaned the pics off my friends camera. Put them on my Mac in Photos then dragged them to a FAT-32 Flash drive then put them on his Windows 10 Notebook and all opened fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.