Mail Server ID

Reaction score
My mail accounts work faultlessly on my WINDOWS machine, but I am just transferring to a Macbook Pro El Capitan and every time I try to read or send mails it objects with "Cannot verify Identity of the Server".
I get this for both POP and SMTP.
I just accept CONTINUE then it operates OK.
I do not understand why this works on WIN but not OSX.
How can I fix this iritation this for good?
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Richard - not sure that I can help, but please provide some further information: 1) What model/year MBPro are you using; 2) What version of El Capitan is installed; and 3) What ISP/Mail Servers are you using (e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, others). But for starters, checkout this LINK (and some of the included links) to see if you can resolve the issue - good luck! Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you for that input, Dave, but I think I have solved this problem.
When the message popped up I chose to look at the certificate. That gave me the option to accept that certificate as default which I did.
Touch wood, it seems to have cleared my issue.
If I get a problem in the coming days I'll get back to you.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you for that input, Dave, but I think I have solved this problem.
When the message popped up I chose to look at the certificate. That gave me the option to accept that certificate as default which I did.
Touch wood, it seems to have cleared my issue.
If I get a problem in the coming days I'll get back to you.

Hi again Richard - going back to that link provided and partly quoted below - I put the last statement in bold and assume that is what you likely did - but glad you've resolved the issue! Dave :)

If a mail server uses an SSL certificate that’s signed by an unknown authority (such as a self-signed certificate), Mail displays a message indicating that it can’t verify the identity of the mail server. Although you can connect to the mail server, Mail will continue to warn you about it each time you open Mail. To stop the message from appearing, indicate that you trust the mail server’s certificate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.