itunes radio button disappeared

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot; noob here...

Anyway, I'm running iTunes 12.1 on PC at work; had a Radio button and been using it on this PC for two years. came in this morning and it played a song, then stopped playing when the song ended and the button disappeared. still have the Internet Radio link but that's not what I'm looking for. I tried signing out and back in; used task manager to end all apple processes and restarted...nothing.... Thoughts?

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Read this:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01...ations.leave.beats.one.as.free.to.all.132064/

In a nutshell (what the kids today call TL-DR): the iTunes Radio stations got folded into the paid Apple Music service, though Beats 1 remains free to listen to, starting today. The **Internet Radio** section you refer to is unaffected by this, and remains free and available. This didn't affect me since I subscribe to Apple Music, but if one didn't hear about it in advance that the move today would come as a surprise.

On a bigger-picture scale, this is actually a good move for iTunes Radio -- it now goes worldwide, and drops ads. For those in the US and Australia who enjoyed it but aren't subscribing to Apple Music, of course, not so good, and for iTunes Match users it is kind of annoying, since iTunes Match subscribers got to enjoy iTunes Radio without ads. Still, iTunes has the free Internet streaming radio stations still, there's Beats 1 (I'm not much of a fan of their day-to-day stuff but the specialty shows from St. Vincent, Elton John, and Dr. Dre are great), and of course there's a huge supply of third-party streaming apps and services ranging between free and $10 a month depending on what you want. I like Radium or TuneIn for free stations, and after comparing Spotify and the former Rdio (Pandora not being available in Canada), I chose Apple Music because its recommendations were the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.