Introduction to the MAC World.

Reaction score
Purchased first MAC in February 2015 so to prevent updating to Windows 10.

Have Windows 7 Ultimate and Parallels for El Captain and will have basic questions to bore the Group.

Thanks,

Ron

P.S. Actually typed the first press release of Windows in 1981.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Welcome to Mac-Forums. When you are ready to post some questions…go for it.:)

- Nick

p.s. By the way. To get you off on the right foot…the widely accepted abbreviation for Macintosh is "Mac"…not MAC.;)

C

chas_m

Yes, Mac is a nickname or abbreviation of Macintosh, it's not an acronym. Welcome to the forum! Wow, you go back A LONG WAY with Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Welcome to the forum!

Sometime in the early 1980's I remember getting a free copy of Windows 3.0 and a free mouse to test. Microsoft was sending all kinds of good stuff to schools to get us to buy in. I remember holding the mouse up and showing it to my students saying, "Why would anyone want one of these?" Little did I know that not long down the road I would be making comments like,"Who took the ball out of the mouse? Put it back right now!" And some of you will know what that refers too! ;D

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Little did I know that not long down the road I would be making comments like,"Who took the ball out of the mouse? Put it back right now!" And some of you will know what that refers too! ;D

Ha ha. Absolutely!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
My first experience with a personal computer came in about 1983 / 84 in work. No windows - just MS DOS and a very rudimentary spreadsheet application. Back ups were made on floppy discs and we didn't have a printer, so the graphs produced were painstakingly copied out by hand onto paper and the labels cut out and stuck on!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
Ron, welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie too. I grew up on DOS. and still have machines with XP, Vista and 7. Just using ipad now and hoping for a Mac too.
Kenny

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Thats neat, my father in law was a prof of Economics at UOP in Stockton, Ca in 1981 and had a remote computer at his house to review students homework from his house, he had a 9 baud connection!!!! I just performed the switch earlier this month from a lifetime ( since early 90's) of Bill's products. I wish I had done this earlier, what a great laptop this is. I am still learning all the Mac features, i.e. no more control C control V for copy/paste! And what great apps. I have had iPhones for a few years and my wife has iPads too, but for me, this is a great switch in formats.
Steve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
exactly but it took me a while to figure that one out. LOL Btw, how do I get to keep iMovie icon on dock seems to keep going away ? Thanks.
Steve.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Open Applications - find the iMovie app and drag it to the dock. Dragging it to the dock from the applications folder will keep it there.

Lisa

M

MacInWin

he had a 9 baud connection!!!!
@firensteel, that's the slowest connection I have ever heard of. I started with 110 baud, then 300, 1200, 4800 and then it took off to be direct internet connections through cable. I don't ever recall 9 baud. That's really, really slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.