Gatekeeper and Clam Xav

Reaction score
I downloaded Clam Xav a while ago and at the time it was freeware. I have been able to scan manually, but when I try to launch Clam Xav sentry (which I assume will automatically protect all the time) it says I need to enter my password to enable the sentry program to make changes. i enter the password and it keeps going back to the same prompt asking for the password again. Could this be because of Gatekeeper preventing the launch?

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gatekeeper will not prevent ClamXav from launching once it's been installed. It's possible that if you have not paid for (obtained a license) for ClamXav, that it is limited in what it can do. You probably should direct this to their support. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No mention of versions being used here, OS X or ClamXav, but regardless ClamXav went commercial some time ago and it won't work or update properly unless paid for as chscag mentioned. And as suggested, check their site.

If you were thinking of using it for any malware and are using OS X 10.7.x or later, I'd strongly suggest the better and free AdwareMedic which now has been replaced with a replacement and download it from https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

PS: From a recent ClamXav update notice:
"Any version of ClamXav earlier than version 2.8 will no longer receive our additional Mac-specific malware definition updates.

If you use ClamXav Sentry, and you're on OS X 10.6, it may ask for your password when you run this update. …"

OP
K
Reaction score
You're all so knowledgable and this forum is helpful for a guy like me who doesn't have the patience to sort through ever-changing technology. Yes, I am still on OSX10.6.8 and the version of ClamXav I had is earlier than version 2.8 and, it was free so I think the sentry feature had issues. I'm now trying a 30 day free trial of ClamXav 2.8.9 and the sentry component does work. So at least I know it wasn't Gatekeeper. Through Mac forums, I'm also under the impression that ClamXav may not be the best option--it has found a few problems over the years and that gives me peace of mind, but the infected files might have been fairly harmless, I don't know. At any rate, better safe than sorry so I'll look into AdwareMedic too. Also looked into Malware Bytes, but the freeware isn't backward compatible w/ OSX10.6.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The bottom line here of course is you don't need either of them in the first place. Despite your outdated operating system there are still and never have been any Mac platform virus'. Neither Gatekeeper or ClamXav will save you from security breaches from hackers looking to access your personal information. Gatekeeper is only as good at protecting you from Malware as it's latest update which is no longer provided/supported by Apple for OSX 10.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.