external hard drive

Reaction score
I enjoy downloading movies, putting them on my external hard drive and plugging it into my TVs. I didn't have any problems until I bought a MAC. I called mac and they told me that the hard drive I own is formatted in NTFS which is not compatible with MAC. I then bought a compatible hard drive (EXFAT) and was able to put movies from my MAC to the hard drive. The problem I have now is both my TVs and my blue-ray player won't read the hard drive. I was told EXFAT was comparable with MAC and windows machines..?? Any help would be great.
Please help!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was told EXFAT was comparable with MAC and windows machines..?? Any help would be great.

That's correct, exFAT is compatible with your Mac and a Windows machine. However, your TVs and Blue Ray player are NOT Windows machines. You will need to use NTFS for the TVs. As for the Blue Ray player, it should be able to play both Blue Ray and standard movies.

OP
O
Reaction score
gotchaa

That's correct, exFAT is compatible with your Mac and a Windows machine. However, your TVs and Blue Ray player are NOT Windows machines. You will need to use NTFS for the TVs. As for the Blue Ray player, it should be able to play both Blue Ray and standard movies.

The problem I'm having is getting a drive that is compatible with the MAC and the TVs. I can not transfer files from the MAC to NTFS formatted drive and it seems that NTFS is the only formatting my TV will read. They won't read the EXFAT formatting data. Does that make any sense?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think member chscag is on the right track. The TV and Blu Ray player need the drive to be formatted as NTFS. Problem is that your Mac can't write the movies to that NTFS drive without a little help. Give http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ a try. It will allow your Mac to write to NTFS drives. I believe there is a demo versio

C

chas_m

Also, MAC is not capped because its not an acronym ... it's just short for "Macintosh." Apple is the name of the company that made your Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay thanks...I'll give that a try

If/When you try this please post back and let us know whether it works. I can't test this as my current TV doesn't have that capability.

OP
O
Reaction score
If/When you try this please post back and let us know whether it works. I can't test this as my current TV doesn't have that capability.

Slydude- I downloaded it and it works fine. It is on a 10 day trial period so I'm not sure how much the full version cost. Thanks a bunch though!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's currently $19.95 U.S. and well worth it. I have been using it for a while now with no issues. Don't have to use it often but when needed it has been rock solid. Did it solve your problem sharing a drive between Mac and your TVs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And the banker never wears a mack in the pouring rain, very strange.

In "British English", a mack is a raincoat, especially one made from a particular kind of waterproof cloth. It is an abbreviation of the word mackintosh
In north America, Mac is a form to address a male stranger. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...banker never wears a mack in the pouring rain (with spelling corrected)

In my user name, MAC stands in for Mac. I wanted to use mac, but couldn't. So it's MAC "in" tosh, or to...sh, thus; Macintosh. Poetic license, or something...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.