I want to get an MBP, but should I spend the extra $270 on..

Reaction score
an CPU upgrade from 2.0 to 2.16Ghz? Or spend it on 2GB of Ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i vote ram!

i am no master the differences between .16Ghz on a computer but i do know that osx is a ram hog and the more the merrier....or work for another month and get both!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
My rule of thumb with laptops is to always buy as many upgrades as I can afford. When I say upgrades, I also try to stick to things that aren't easily upgradeable by the owner. I would not spend the money on Ram as it is usually much cheaper to buy it from someone other than Apple and you can easily install this yourself. The processor may give you a little faster computer, but is it worth the extra money for 160ghz more? So that throws out those two options as they aren't worth the $270 more. The only thing left to upgrade that "may" be worth the money would be a bigger hard drive. Storage is very valuable on a laptop, especially if you are planning to dual boot. Ultimately the choice is yours but I wouldn't spend the extra money if I were you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
A) Get the RAM.

B) Don't buy Apple RAM, 3rd party RAM is always cheaper.

C) Blow what money you saved on booze!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
I must admit, I decided on RAM from a 3rd party vendor, and I'm wishing I had just spent the extra $500 and upgrade to the 2.0Ghz to start with, but oh well. My 1.83 is still blazing fast even as it is. It's an amazing machine, and I don't at all regret buying it, I just wish I had just gone a little farther with the initial purchase.

But yeah, my opinion, get the 2.16 if you want to go one way or another. Or get a larger hard drive. The 2.0/2.16 both come w/ 1GB of RAM which is sufficient for most things (seeing as Adobe CS2 isn't Universal...), so you could always upgrade that at a later time. Let us know what you go with! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
There was a time when I would have said RAM. But then I thought about it and realized something. The only part of a laptop you can realistically upgrade later is the RAM, so the CPU is more worthy of being upgraded if you think both are enough but you want to BTO an upgrade. In addition, the MacBook Pro comes with 1 GB of RAM. For almost anyone using this computer, that is definitely enough for whatever you'll be doing, so you can get more RAM a few years from now if you actually do need it, when it will be much cheaper.

EDIT: oh, I forgot about the hard drive. I would definitely go for the 100GB 7200 RPM HDD before the RAM as well.

OP
J
Reaction score
Discerptor said:
There was a time when I would have said RAM. But then I thought about it and realized something. The only part of a laptop you can realistically upgrade later is the RAM, so the CPU is more worthy of being upgraded if you think both are enough but you want to BTO an upgrade. In addition, the MacBook Pro comes with 1 GB of RAM. For almost anyone using this computer, that is definitely enough for whatever you'll be doing, so you can get more RAM a few years from now if you actually do need it, when it will be much cheaper.

EDIT: oh, I forgot about the hard drive. I would definitely go for the 100GB 7200 RPM HDD before the RAM as well.

Great, so I'll go with the faster processor and a bigger harddrive. You're all right, I can always upgrade the RAM later. Thanks SO MUCH everyone! :dive:

Reaction score
Try and get the 7200 RPM DRive, it will also help with speed. (I think, correct me if im wrong)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea glad to see you went with the 2.16GHz machine, your gonna love it i know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
inflexion said:
yea glad to see you went with the 2.16GHz machine, your gonna love it i know :)

Exactly...you're going to be stuck, whether you like it or not, with your machine for probably many years into the future, so why not deck it out? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.