Videos on SD card not visible on MBP

Reaction score
:Smirk:
I recorded some video with a Canon 5D Mark iii onto 2 simple 64gb SD cards that already had stuff on them (raw images and .mov files). When inserting the first SD card into my MacBookPro, the files from my recordings that day show up as .MOV files and all is swell. The 2nd card shows plenty of other .MOV and raw image files, but the videos from this particular day are nowhere to be found...even after digging around in each folder. The odd part is, the videos are still visible and playable when the SD card is in the camera...

Any thoughts on getting these phantom videos off of this SD card...especially considering that I have recorded onto this card and imported successfully in the past...? Thank you in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Have you tried plugging the camera directly into your MBP instead of using the card reader?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Have you tried plugging the camera directly into your MBP instead of using the card reader?
Shouldn't really make a difference. My MBP reacts the same whether I plug my camera's SD card into the card reader, or connect the camera directly.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Nicky, unfortunately I don't have a cord for this camera! Darn, would that make a difference? Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Well it shouldn't make any difference but you never know. It sometimes works the other way round (i.e. getting images, etc. off a card via a card reader not the camera).

It's a process of finding out whether there's something wrong with the card or your card reader.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am assuming that the card reader is fine because I filmed onto 2 cards that day and the other card works as it should. The mystery is that this second SD is not showing the movies on the computer, they are nowhere to be found as if they don't exist...but having a hard time believing there is something truly wrong with the card since it is fine playing the movies when it's in the camera. Thanks for trying to help!

Well it shouldn't make any difference but you never know. It sometimes works the other way round (i.e. getting images, etc. off a card via a card reader not the camera).

It's a process of finding out whether there's something wrong with the card or your card reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SD cards are very much prone to failure when inserted into computers. How old your MBP and operating system?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.