Windows

whg

Reaction score
Hi new here and just posted this question somewhere. Up graded from 10.4.11 and Classic 9.6 so I could use Appleworks 5 or 6. Now have a Mac Mini late 2012
running 10.11.2 El Capitan. Can't run Appleworks. Heard it can be used in Windows. If so what Windows system and will it work on my mini. thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mac version of Appleworks does not run in Windows. If I remember correctly, there was a version some years back of Appleworks for Windows but it never took off. Even if you did come up with the Windows version of Appleworks, I doubt it would run in any modern version of Windows. You could probably run it in Windows 3.0 or 3.1; maybe?

And as a reminder of forum rules... do not double post a thread. I have removed your duplicate post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure why you want to keep using Appleworks - but in all fairness, I have never used it so would not have lots of documents created with it.

As to running Windows on your Mini with El Capitan - Using bootcamp you can run Windows 8.1 or 10. Using Parallels for Mac, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox you can run Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 and all run within OS X - no rebooting to select which OS to run.

As to if Appleworks can run on Windows - Check out this link about how that might be possible and in what situations:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2522

Lisa

C

chas_m

Hi new here and just posted this question somewhere. Up graded from 10.4.11 and Classic 9.6 so I could use Appleworks 5 or 6. Now have a Mac Mini late 2012
running 10.11.2 El Capitan. Can't run Appleworks. Heard it can be used in Windows. If so what Windows system and will it work on my mini. thanks

AppleWorks was discontinued more than TEN YEARS AGO. The Windows version was discontinued even longer ago than that!

Convert your documents to something currently being supported. IIRC, you could export AppleWorks word documents to (MS Office) Word format, or text, or RTF (all still supported). Spreadsheets to Excel format, databases to tab- or comma-delimited for import into real database programs. Slideshows and drawings you are probably up a creek -- there may still be ONE program left that supports converting AppleWorks drawing format, but its not cheap. The previous version of Pages (which, incidentally, still works) supports converting from AppleWorks 6 (the last version from 2004) only.

If I remember correctly, there was a version some years back of Appleworks for Windows but it never took off.

"Some years" was 1993. Feeling old yet? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh you youngsters not using Appleworks Lisa. For some of us oldies, the go was ClarisWorks, and versions 4 and 5 were compatible with Windows 95 and OS 6!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Ahh you youngsters not using Appleworks Lisa. For some of us oldies, the go was ClarisWorks, and versions 4 and 5 were compatible with Windows 95 and OS 6!

Unfortunately, it's not an age factor (although I do believe I might be a bit younger than you Harry! O:) ) I was not an Apple fan back then. I had WordStar 3.0 and later WordPerfect 5.1. Wrote my masters thesis using WordPerfect 5.1 using a floppy disk for the program and one for the document storage. Both programs used DOS.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I used Apple Works at first when I got my Mac Plus then SE used but then went with Office and Word. I have messed with Clarisworks but never got really into it.

On the PC side I was also using Word Perfect for a long time then migrated to Office.

C

chas_m

I began my journalism career in college with SuperScripsit for TRS-80 and have a LONG history with just about all the major word processors one could think of from the 80s onward. I loved AppleWorks, but I *paid attention* when Apple discontinued it and converted my documents over to .rtf format (most could even have been saved as plain text really) or Word. I used AppleWorks less and less as we went along and finally with Snow Leopard I knew it was time to let it go -- there were so many other better products by that point that it was not difficult. To be fair I never used AW for drawing but that process would have been more difficult to convert things over, even back then -- and is nearly impossible now.

OP
W

whg

Reaction score
I began my journalism career in college with SuperScripsit for TRS-80 and have a LONG history with just about all the major word processors one could think of from the 80s onward. I loved AppleWorks, but I *paid attention* when Apple discontinued it and converted my documents over to .rtf format (most could even have been saved as plain text really) or Word. I used AppleWorks less and less as we went along and finally with Snow Leopard I knew it was time to let it go -- there were so many other better products by that point that it was not difficult. To be fair I never used AW for drawing but that process would have been more difficult to convert things over, even back then -- and is nearly impossible now.

Thank you, I liked it in drawing because I could put something into it that was larger than the area and then went to scale and scale it down by % and make it fit and the print it out. Is there something like that out now. I've got Easy Draw now but haven't figured out if I can do that yet. Been playing around with that.
if you know of another app that will do what I need please let me know thanks again looking back at other quotes just wanted to say I'm 78 years old and really loved system 8.6 not wanting all these new changes.

Last edited:
OP
W

whg

Reaction score
Thanks to all, I looked into these different thing and think I'll just take the things out of the mini, put then into the G4 using Classic running AppleWorks and continue on.
Thanks again everyone for your help.

C

chas_m

As long as you understand that when that machine dies, it will take ALL that work with it.

If we're talking about AppleWorks drawings, and you have any interest in keeping them, I would **strongly** encourage you to have a chat with the EazyDraw folks to explore your options before it is too late (as it might already be).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.