iphoto

Reaction score
I tried following Mighty Gem's advice to size a photo in iphoto to a certain dpi, "If you Export a photo via iPhoto's File menu, you can choose any size that you wish using the Custom Size option", but got stuck when asked, under custom, my max width and # of px. Can you help me choose?
I am an artist who needs to learn to send photos of my work in certain dpi. This time they want 72dpi, other places have needed 300dpi.
Thanks for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you thought about using the preview.app to re-size your photos to a custom DPI?

OP
T
Reaction score
resizing photo

Have you thought about using the preview.app to re-size your photos to a custom DPI?

When I open in Preview, and go to adjust size, it says it's 72 pixels/inch resolution. How does this convert to dpi(dots per inch)? Not sure how they come up with the width and height , or how changing those would change resolution either. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I open in Preview, and go to adjust size, it says it's 72 pixels/inch resolution. How does this convert to dpi(dots per inch)? Not sure how they come up with the width and height , or how changing those would change resolution either. Thanks.

I'm going to let our expert (member RadDave) on this reply - hoping he sees this thread. He has posted several threads on the subject.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just found a conversion site for dpi to pixels/cm . It's called endmemo.com. So that part of my question is answered.
Thanks for the idea to use Preview.
When I asked to make the size 300 dpi , it said it could not, because the photo was 2.6 MB.Yet, I have a high res camera. So, now I'm wondering how to do 300 dpi? (which is 118.12pixel/cm).

C

chas_m

You may have a high-rez camera, but that photo is definitely not high resolution. In fact, I'd say it's likely to be the thumbnail of the image rather than the image itself.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmm, is it possible that when I download my photos to iphoto they become a thumbnail size? I looked under info in iphoto and all the pics i took with iso 100 on my SLR camera are 2.5 MB.
To get them in Preview I pull them to the desktop and double click. i am a relative newbie to all this, having mainly made 4x6" prints from the photos I download. I have lots to learn!

C

chas_m

Hmm, is it possible that when I download my photos to iphoto they become a thumbnail size?

No, but iPhoto will create a thumbnail for faster viewing.

I looked under info in iphoto and all the pics i took with iso 100 on my SLR camera are 2.5 MB.

Don't know what to tell you about that. Apparently those pictures were shot at a lower resolution. You'll probably want to go back to the source where you imported the pictures and compare the original file sizes, but you appear to have imported low-resolution files from wherever that was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I tried following Mighty Gem's advice to size a photo in iphoto to a certain dpi, "If you Export a photo via iPhoto's File menu, you can choose any size that you wish using the Custom Size option", but got stuck when asked, under custom, my max width and # of px. Can you help me choose?
That was in order to choose a physical size of your photo; ie, pixels/inches,centimeters etc. As you've found out, you need a set resolution; ie dots per inch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.