bootcamp windows 7 late 2015 imac and el capitan.....will it work?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch Intel Core i7, Late 2015, OS 10.11.2) and I'd like to partition the drive and run it as a windows machine via bootcamp. I have a Windows 7 Pro DVD (64 bit) and I'd like to install it. Is this possible?

On the apple site it says I need bootcamp 4 or 5.1 to do this, but I have version 6 with this system. Is it possible to revert to an older version of Bootcamp?

I plan on free upgrading to Windows 10, so the next question is, should I just download a version of Windows 10 and install that (I'm not sure if this is possible either using my windows 7 license key (it was purchased, not part of an old machine). I realize this is a Mac forum but I thought there might be some windows people that might know some answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not possible to install Windows 7 via Boot Camp on that machine as the firmware will not support it. However, Windows 7 can be installed using virtual software such as Parallels, Fusion, or the free VirtualBox. According to Apple your iMac can only install Windows 8.1 or later using Boot Camp. Once 8.1 is installed, it can be upgraded for free from Microsoft to Windows 10. And no, it's not possible to use an earlier version of Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.