More trouble, keychain this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
As above, I can't remember the keychain password for my iMac. It's not the same as the login so I resorted to "reset the password" However, after I did this I just keep getting a dialogue box telling me that:
"com.apple.internetaccounts.xpc wants to use the "login" keychain,
Please enter the keychain password." The box has a locked padlock in the top left corner.

It's been driving me nuts for hours now, so I've resorted to the font of knowledge. :Confused:

C

chas_m

The keychain password SHOULD BE your login/admin password, so already something is not as it should be. Why wasn't it the same?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I've changed my apple id password several times, would that be it ?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
View attachment Keychain.pdf Hopefully, this is the pdf of the dialogue box. Not actually the one I described, but another one that came up when I tried to get out of it.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I've changed my apple password, would / should that have changed the Keychain password too ? Or is that different ?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got in touch with apple by phone and a nice young lady helped me sort mine out. It seems back to normal now. Thanks for the help.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Pete,

To close the loop, so to speak, could you find the time to tell us what the "nice young lady" advised you and how she got things back to normal? It could help others in the future.

Many thanks

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, at least I'll try to. She didn't take over my computer, but she was able to see my screen after I downloaded an app from apple. She then told me I was most of the way there because I'd got as far as needing to put my iCloud password in to finish it. So: I'd gone via finder>applications>utilities>keychain access and then to preferences in the keychain menu>reset keychain password. I clicked this and that's where I lost it because I didn't know that password. This "nice young lady" :) told me to put my iCloud password in. After some brain racking (I'm nearly 69 :Confused:) I got it and all was fixed. Now, I know there are people older than me that could fly through things like this, but I had a really big bang on the back of my head a few years ago and now I'm a lot cleverer than I used to be. :) that's what my mates tell me anyway.
Hope I've made this clear enough.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You did fine. Thanks for posting that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.