Username fill in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
When I type my user name on websites the name will appear in blue so I can just click on it and it will fill it in for me. Well somehow the user name wornslick shows up as worn slick. How can I correct this? Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Go to your browsers Autofill settings and edit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod, I went to the browser and could not find wornslick spelled worn slick. I have noticed lately that it will do this on other words. Like poage, a local car dealer, when I start to type poage it changes it to page, unless I stop typing and click the little "x", that shows up next to the word page, then it won't change my spelling. Not a big deal I guess, just a little annoying.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I type my user name on websites the name will appear in blue so I can just click on it and it will fill it in for me. Well somehow the user name wornslick shows up as worn slick. How can I correct this? Thanks

That's controlled by the built in spell checker not your browser fill in. You can turn off all spell checking for OS X if you like or just put up with it. (Keyboard, Text, remove check from box that says "Correct spelling automatically".)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The last thing I want to do is mislead you or waste your time; but following chscag's comment about spell checker, you might want to cast a quick glance at the following article:

http://tidbits.com/article/16241

Ian

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's controlled by the built in spell checker not your browser fill in. You can turn off all spell checking for OS X if you like or just put up with it. (Keyboard, Text, remove check from box that says "Correct spelling automatically".)

Thanks chscag, I really like the spell checker so I believe I will just put up with it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The last thing I want to do is mislead you or waste your time; but following chscag's comment about spell checker, you might want to cast a quick glance at the following article:

http://tidbits.com/article/16241

Ian

Thanks to you also IWT, I will read the article this weekend after work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That's controlled by the built in spell checker not your browser fill in. You can turn off all spell checking for OS X if you like or just put up with it.

No way to get it to "learn" that? If it can't guess, that's when you get the option to add a word?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No way to get it to "learn" that? If it can't guess, that's when you get the option to add a word?

Yes, just like the user dictionary in MS Office, you can add words. However, we have had inquiries from users who accidentally "learned" an incorrect word or spelling and then couldn't figure out why that particular word kept showing up when they meant something else. Just be careful what you ask your built in spell checker to learn. ;D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, just like the user dictionary in MS Office, you can add words. However, we have had inquiries from users who accidentally "learned" an incorrect word or spelling and then couldn't figure out why that particular word kept showing up when they meant something else. Just be careful what you ask your built in spell checker to learn.

Which is possibly where the Link I posted in #5 might help? Not sure.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, just like the user dictionary in MS Office, you can add words.

If it doesn't prompt you, is there a way to force it to add a troublesome word? I've never had a reason to do that...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there is a way to force it to learn a word, but the easiest way is to follow the directions in the link that IAN posted above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.