• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Reinstalling iMove HD after reinstalling Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Greetings

Because I had an issue with my 2011 in regard to the network, I was wrongly advised to reinstall ML.

I did this, but of course, lost iMovie HD in the process. I now want it back....

I have the iLife 11 install disc.

Looking at various webpages, a suggestion is that I trash the existing iMovie, then install iMovie HD from my iLife Disc. Then I am supposed to reinstall iMovie 11.....

How do I go about that?

Ideas, please

Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Did you do a clean install of ML, or just install it on top of your existing version of OS X? If you installed on top, then you should still have your iMovie6 HD.

Don't worry too much if you haven't got it, as iMovie 11 is just as good. iMovie6 HD was followed by iMovie08, which was a disaster, and then iMovie09, which was only slightly better.

Apple finally got it sorted with iMovie 11, which does everything that iMovie6 HD did, but better.

Lastly, if iLife 11 is the only version of iLife that you have, then iMovie6 HD isn't on it, only iMovie 11.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi MG

Thanks for your reply.

Despite your assurances,I do worry...

I have three vid cameras. Each records using mini dv tapes (which I like).

What I used to do was record a movie, edit in iMovie 11, share with iMovie HD which would then allow me to share to camera, so that I would have an archive of the edited movie on tape.

This was entirely satisfactory from my point of view.

i Movie 11 doesn't allow me to share to camera, so you see my problem?

I may have to get onto Apple.....

Cheers Mitch

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi again

Just to conclude the saga, I did speak with Apple Support.....BUT....they couldn't help me because iMovie HD is 'legacy software' and no longer supported. I will take up the issue directly with Apple, but don't hold your breath.

Fortunately, I was able to get it via a download from the web at http://blog.iharder.net/2010/08/17/imovie-hd-available-here/ which does the job nicely.

So if anyone else has the same issue as I did, that's the place to look.

Cheers Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie 11 doesn't allow me to share to camera, so you see my problem?
Yes, I can see that. I also still use a miniDV camcorder, but it doesn't have video in, so I can't record back to it, so your problem didn't occur to me.

I'm on Yosemite as well. Just tried your link...works a treat. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Mini DV tapes . . . UGGGH I have boxes and boxes of used mini DV tapes and nine Canon XL2's for sale. I have gone all HD Sony and Red cams that use 512GB SDXC memory cards, no changing tapes or cleaning tape heads on all of my pro cams and consumer cams. There is nothing good about Mini DV tapes because what do you do with the tapes after the initial use, you can't re-use them, if you erase them they are still worthless because the time line has gone away with the erase, if you try to use an erased tape the quality is gone. There is nothing good to say about mini dv tapes! Just Sayin'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can't re-use them
I've been re-using mine for years without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Good for you, I on the other hand have more of a professional use and enjoy all day shoots without having to change anything. I'm glad that you find the quality acceptable for your use, I'm out of here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.