How to change power saving settings in mac OS

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I just switched to Mac OS, and I just joined your forum, hope you could help me.

So in windows, there was these settings for what should the laptop do when you close the lid, I can't find that here in mac os.

So simply I have loads of updates, and I just want to leave the macbook while downloading these updates, every time i do that when i come back the wireless is disconnected and the macbook is sleeping.

So how can I change that.

Thank you.

C

chas_m

Depending on your model and OS version, which you didn't mention, the computer can do it while sleeping using PowerNap. Otherwise, you could adjust the power settings so that the display sleeps but the computer doesn't so it can do the updates if its not PowerNap compatible, and finally you can run the laptop with the lid closed and attached to another monitor, but I personally don't advise it because some heat is ventilated through the keyboard in older models.

M

MacInWin

Also, the settings to keep the CPU going are in System Preferences/Energy Saver, where you can set when and how you want the screen to go to sleep and when you want the CPU to go to sleep. The WiFi disconnect is from the CPU sleeping and not responding to the heartbeat checks from your WiFi router. I don't have Power Nap so I don't know how those two work together, if they do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.