Finder

Reaction score
Hi.

I must admit that I much prefer Windows File Explorer over Finder, which I find very klunky.

I just wondered if, in Finder, I could arrange the sort order to folders first then files, as the File Explorer has them?

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try arrange by "Kind" rather than by "Name"? That will put the folders on top and files below. There are third party apps that are more configurable and allow that as an option.

Path Finder has more options for viewing and sorting but it's not free. ($39.95)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, but the problem with sorting by kind is that it does just that, and the files then aren't in alphabetical order.

Cheers - I'll have a look at Path Finder :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Have you tried clicking on the icon that looks like 6 square boxes with 2 horizontal lines? Click on this and then on kind.

For me this splits the Finder column into 2 horizontals - 1 for documents and 1 for folders. Both are then in alphabetical order within each.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Nickyr, but because I have mixed types (images, pdf, other) of files it shows several rows. I'm trying to just show the folders separately and then all file types together alphabetically, like File Explorer in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Do you have your windows set to Icon View, List View, or what?

M

MacInWin

babrees, there is no way to do what you want if you are in El Capitan. There used to be a product called Total Finder that had that option, but with the new security in El Cap, that product no longer works. If you aren't up to El Cap, you can use it for now, but sooner or later you'll need to upgrade and will lose it. The developer has stopped working on it because of the change in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 14.4.1; iPhone SE 3rd Gen iOS 17.4.1;
I just change folder names to have a leading space, so they come to the top of the sort sequence.

OP
B
Reaction score
toMACsh, it doesn't matter which view I'm in, but I use various views depending on what I'm doing

MacInWin, thanks! I am in El Capitan :( I thought that might be the case. Shame. Perhaps somebody will write an app identical to the Windows File Explorer! I live in hope ;D

verdi1901, thanks, good idea but with thousands of files just not practical. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.