backup on external harddrive

Reaction score
I used to use an Hitachi external hard drive to back up my old macbook. The drive has two USB cables. My new macbook has two USB ports but they are on opposite sides on the macbook. How would I connect the hard drive, since the cords don't reach?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use a powered USB hub instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try just one cord. I have a similar two cord drive and it works with just the power/data cord. Depends on the power output from the USB socket. It works on my MBP but not on my Mini.

C

chas_m

The reason the Hitachi drive has a two-headed USB cord is because it needs the extra power of the second USB cord in order to boot the machine on USB 2.0 or earlier ports. USB 3.0 drives do not have or need this. Even under USB 2.0, the drive will work normally using just the one USB plug, but as you're using this as a backup drive, and your machine doesn't have two USB ports close together, I would wipe and pass on that drive to someone who can use it, and get a USB 3.0 unit, since your new MacBook (Air, that would have been useful to mention) has USB 3.0 ports and only needs one plug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The reason the Hitachi drive has a two-headed USB cord is because it needs the extra power of the second USB cord in order to boot the machine on USB 2.0 or earlier ports. USB 3.0 drives do not have or need this. Even under USB 2.0, the drive will work normally using just the one USB plug, but as you're using this as a backup drive, and your machine doesn't have two USB ports close together, I would wipe and pass on that drive to someone who can use it, and get a USB 3.0 unit, since your new MacBook (Air, that would have been useful to mention) has USB 3.0 ports and only needs one plug.

@ Mlut - I'd agree w/ the above - external USB-powered HDs are cheap; plus, I'm not sure how old the Hitachi HD may be, but possibly approaching imminent failure, i.e. after 4-5 years these drives just start to 'die' w/o warning. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I suppose I should get a new drive, in case this just does die as it was suggested. And of course I suppose I could figure out iCioud on of these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.