Time Machine Can't find backup

Reaction score
Hi,

This is driving me crazy.

I have a NAS that is accessible - I can browse, copy files to and from, no problem! I want to create a brand new backup set. That's all. How do I do that?

The only option TimeMachine gives me under select disk is a WD_Backup on WDShareSpaceBackup (it's a Western Digital NAS) or "other airport devices".

I think the WD_Backup is an old backup, but it's no longer accessible. All I can discover about it is a strange path starting: afp://

It shows up also in Finder but isn't accessible - GetInfo doesn't work.

I deleted the .DS_Store file on my NAS as I searched and couldn't find any backup files at all for my MAC.

I just want TimeMachine to forget about this backup set it thinks exists and create a brand new backup.

Thanks,
I tried a bunch of forums but they all tell you to delete the existing backup set - well I can't as it doesn't exist, just some meta data in TimeMachine it seems...

OP
T
Reaction score
I use a Time Capsule but there are several here that use a wide variety of drives. I did find a couple of articles that might help.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-nas-windows-share-time-machine-backup/

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the links. It seems since update 10.10.3 TimeMachine no longer works with any third party NAS that don't follow certain specifications.

I tried the methods outlined but ran into problems trying to set the sparse image as a destination for TimeMachine:

sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/TimeMachine

As a short term solution I'm using rsync to backup my documents to the NAS. That seems good enough.

Thanks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.