Finder password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all.

More trouble and it's a case of the blind leading the blind. A bit of a saga but please bear with me.

An old (in their eighties) couple bought a 21" iMac on my recommendation and are doing quite well, but now we've run into trouble.

I went yesterday and showed them how to change a file format by using 'get info'. I then left them to it, thinking they'd got it.

They called me over today because they couldn't do it and I found that when I went to show them again, a box came up asking for the finder password.

They said they've never had one and I can't find a way round it, so any help is much appreciated, not forgetting that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers.

I've been on the internet for ages, but don't trust, or even understand some of the answers, so came on here because I know the advice will be good.

They're running os x 10.9.5 mavericks.

C

chas_m

Changing the name or extension of a file doesn't actually change the file's format; it remains whatever it was (ie if you rename photo.jpg to photo.gif, it's still a JPG -- only now it won't open right). That could be where they ran into trouble.

As for the "Finder password," there's no such thing -- it's asking for the administrative password, which is the password used to log in to the computer. If it is asking for that, the person is probably about to do something they shouldn't, like throw away a system component or make changes that are normally not allowed.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
But they've told me that they've never put an admin' password in. Also, when I changed the file format yesterday it just worked without asking for any password.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But they've told me that they've never put an admin' password in. Also, when I changed the file format yesterday it just worked without asking for any password.

The location of these files matters - some files will require administrative rights, others won't. Where are each of these files located?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But they've told me that they've never put an admin' password in.

I'm sorry for being so blunt…but of course they or someone else put an admin password or some other password on the computer. Passwords don't simply manifest all by themselves. And the problem with passwords is (as we all know)…if the creator does not remember what the password is…it's very difficult to help someone in this situation.

There's nothing more frustrating when trying to help someone with a computer issue…than a computer user who cannot remember userid's and passwords when you're trying to help them. They just give you that blank look…and then swear they didn't do it.

Believe me…I like helping folks with their computing issues. But no matter how knowledgeable a computer person is…we cannot get around unknown userids & passwords created by a user.

If this password is a big stumbling block to getting things in order. A complete wipe/erase, reformat, and reinstall of the OS may be necessary (with no passwords).;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

OS X requires at least ONE admin account, to set up all the others. And it must have a password. So, someone on that system has an admin account and the password. Any admin password will suffice to make the changes, but most people use the admin password for THEIR account, assuming their account is an admin account. But the password is there for the protection of the user, as chas_m, vansmith and pigoo3 have all indicated. If you can tell us what files these folks are trying to change format, we may be able to help them with the conversion. As said before, change the name does NOT change the format.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All right folks, I'll tell them the good news. As you say, passwords don't put their selves in. No worries about being blunt Nick. The file in question was one created by the user as a 'pages' file and they wanted it changed to pdf. I realise now that the format doesn't actually change, but I've done it on my own computer from pdf, which I can't edit, to another type which I can edit and have never seen a password asked for. I think I'll leave it alone now and let them get some professional help. I've told them from the start that I don't know much more than they do, but I think they see me as an expert. :Blushing:

Anyway, thanks all for your help, it's appreciated.

C

chas_m

To create a PDF from any Mac program, you open it in that program and either export as a PDF file (Pages has this option), or you go to print it and turning the document into a PDF is an option there (every Mac program that works with documents has this option). As before, changing the filename does diddly-squat.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is possible to change an Admin Password using the recovery Partition. It is not necessary to know the old password to do this and you do not need to erase, reformat or reinstall your Operating System This is the first thing i would do. Also I would set the login preferences to require the password on Startup or waking from sleep. Why they will ask? Because the only fool proof way of ensuring people remember their password (or in some cases remind them that they have one) is to make them enter it frequently. Apart from the obvious security issues.
You will find the complete process here with pictures. http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/reset-forgotten-admin-password-mac-osx/
After doing this go to Users and Groups in System Preferences and in the Login Options list (you will need to use the new admin password to unlock the preferences) turn Off Automatic Login. As for selecting good strong memorable passwords I favour sentences. eg. "I Have 3 Hats" This incorporates upper and lower case letters, symbols and a number and is easy to remember.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chas m and Rod. I might pluck up courage to see if I can fix that up using the instructions that Rod supplied. Maybe a few LARGE shots of Wild Turkey Honey first. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's really not that difficult, just ensure you copy the Terminal command EXACTLY as it is written.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod. Haven't got round to it yet, but I will if they let me.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I went and tried that but got a different screen on the 'terminal'. I still typed in exactly what was instructed: -bash-3.2 resetpassword... my laptop puts up the English pound sign instead of hash, but theirs worked as it should. I then hit enter and it came up with command not recognised.

Anyway, I told them I wasn't willing to go any further, so they're calling someone in.

Ps: The different screen I mentioned was showing the owners name and I typed the command after this. I should probably have deleted this before putting in the command, but I wasn't game in case it caused another problem.

Thanks for the help from all, but as I said in the op, it really was a case of the blind leading the blind.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well, at least you tried an no harm done. Cheers, Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.