photos not automatically appearing in iphoto

Reaction score
I have recently uploaded El Capitan. Before this, my photos from my iPhone would automatically appear in iPhoto in a photo stream folder with a 'month' heading (ie jan 2015 photo stream). This no longer happens. How do I return my mac to performing this way?
Many thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to the Forums.

iPhoto has been replaced by Photos. Well, when I say replaced, technically the iPhoto app should still be present in your Applications Folder, but almost certainly Photos will now be in your Dock. Don't worry, you have not lost anything. The iPhoto library is still there, but Apple's plan and advice is to import your iPhoto images into the new Photos app. This doesn't involve you in any work. If you open Photos, it will ask you to import the library and, if you agree, it does it for you.

You can keep iPhoto if that's what you wish, but it is clear that support for it (and Aperture) will cease sometime soon.

Now, the point is Photo Stream will now ONLY work with Photos. So, if you want to retain that facility, you should open Photos and let it import from the old iPhoto. When that is done, open Photos Preferences > iCloud and turn on whichever services you want - these include "iCloud Photo Library", if you want it, and "My Photo Stream".

Hope that helps. Please post back if not helped or if you need more info etc.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply and advice. I have done as you suggested but it is attempting to extend my iCloud account, and therefore charge me, so as to store all my images. All I need is the Photos app on my Mac to automatically store my pics taken on my phone, and sort them in PhotoStream folders as it did before, by date. I dont take a lot of photos so I would usually delete them once a fortnight in the knowledge the photos would be saved in their respective months folder. I'm sure I'm just being daft but it doesn't seem to be straightforward (as it was before....).
Make sense?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think, but I'm not certain, that you are maybe confusing "iCloud Photo Library" which does indeed store all your photos in the cloud - and "My Photo Stream" which replaces the former Photo Stream and does what it did — imports your recent photos from any of your devices (without or outside of iCloud Library) and sends them to the My Photo Stream album on all of your devices.

Is this not what you are missing?

The storage of all your photos in the "iCloud Photo Library" is just that; it uploads all your photos for iCloud storage.

The two are different. You can check the box for one or both services. As far as I know there is no charge for the Photo Stream option (and any charge for the iCloud Storage of your entire library is not prohibitive at all; if that is what you want),

Ian

C

chas_m

The OPTIONAL iCloud Photo Library will suggest buying more storage if the free 5GB is not enough (and it never is) to house your entire photo collection. This is just about my sole remaining complaint with iCloud Photo Storage, which is essentially "let me pick albums and otherwise manage what goes in iCloud Photo Library." Right now it's all or nothing.

However, the point is that turning off iCloud Photo Library will not remove local photos, you'll just stop getting the message about buying more storage (and the responsibility of keeping backups of your photos falls back to you, of course). Photo STREAM, on the other hand, is free with your iCloud account and works fine with Photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.