Saving to specific folder

Reaction score
Hi All. VERY newbie to Mac having been PC user for almost 40 years (YIKES!)

Am learning my way around ok (wish I found this forum earlier, it's a goldmine of info!). Just one thing is bugging me - when saving something from the internet it seems that I can only save it to folders that are in my favourites of Finder or to the root of an external device. I then have to open finder and move it to the specific folder that I want it in. Is that really the only way Mac works, or is it possible to set it up so that I can select any sub-folder under, say, Documents?

C

chas_m

The latter. You're missing this tiny bit of info:

defaultsavehighlight.jpg

Yours may not look exactly like that, but something like that. When you click on that button next to the file title of the document you want to save, it toggles between a Collapsed View of save options (what you're seeing now) and an Expanded View (which will let you navigate to almost anywhere on the computer).

OP
B
Reaction score
WHOA! So simple!!! How did I miss that?!!!

Thanks Chas - much appreciated and it will now save me a stack of time LOL!

Cheers
Jill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
WHOA! So simple!!! How did I miss that?!!!

Well, maybe because it's next to the Save As line instead of where it should be. Where? Here!

For completeness, that thing is called the disclosure triangle. So if you come across that term, you'll know what the heck it refers to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.