• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Want a new Mac every 2 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I just posted this over on the Anandtech forums:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=1839459&enterthread=y

Can you spare $20 a week?

If you can spare $20 a week, you can have yourself a new computer every two years. It's easy, and you don't even have to worry about putting it away for savings in your bank account. Here are the steps:

1. Open an ING Savings account
2. Set the account to pull $20 from your bank account every week
3. Wait 2 years
4. Profit!

Haha, in all seriousness, it's pretty easy to do. I have a really difficult time saving...it's like cookies: if they're there, I'll eat them. So I put the $$ out of sight, out of mind. It's a lot of work to withdraw the money from ING compared to driving to the nearest ATM and pulling it out. There are 52 weeks a year, 104 weeks in 2 years. 104 weeks times $20 a week = $2,080. You can build a pretty nice computer for $2,000, like the one I'm working on right now. Plus you'll get like $70 or so from the interest over that time period (currently at 4%). $20 is pretty easy to save, even when you're working hourly like I am. It's a lot easier to give up $20 a week than $2,000 all at once, know what I mean?

I'm starting Monday. Anyone with me?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad you did not post "a Mac a year" over on Anandtech! You would have been bashed to bits!! Funny even Anand loves his Macs, but there are users there who bash him everytime he says anything positive about Apple.

Great plan you have though!! Looks like it would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
dtravis7 said:
Glad you did not post "a Mac a year" over on Anandtech! You would have been bashed to bits!! Funny even Anand loves his Macs, but there are users there who bash him everytime he says anything positive about Apple.

Great plan you have though!! Looks like it would work.
I think it is a good plan too. Does anyone else find it annoying that 'Apple' and 'Macs' are so bad, but an 'iPod' is AMAZING! If you do't have an ipod for an MP3 player and you have a different brand you are 'weird' but if you have a Mac you are 'weird'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i wish i could spare 20 bucks a week :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
I hear that one!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Has anyone tried ING direct? I recently opened an HSBC direct savings account that offered a promotional 4.80% APY but I don't like it too much so far compared to my Bank of America account which has better web service but craptastic interest rates. Emigrant Direct offers a non-promotional 4.50% APY and Capital One does 4.25% APY.

I would appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions about their favorite online savings places. I do $60 per paycheck direct deposit into savings, but I don't even know what account number I have at HSBC to change my DD election.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
I've been with ING for over a year now... they're great.

L

lil

If only I could make use of my HSBC account's Mini ISA...

One day, One day!

(Apple ****it, don't release anything new for my balance's sakes!)

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
claudius753 said:
Has anyone tried ING direct? I recently opened an HSBC direct savings account that offered a promotional 4.80% APY but I don't like it too much so far compared to my Bank of America account which has better web service but craptastic interest rates. Emigrant Direct offers a non-promotional 4.50% APY and Capital One does 4.25% APY.

I've been using ING Direct since January of 2002 and I really love them. I've also convinced about 7 others to switch to them over the years and they also really like ING. Outstanding customer service, very easy to use and efficient website, always good interest rates.

I looked at HSBC but I wasn't impressed. There are a lot of "me too" banks recently trying to copy what ING Direct has been doing for years and they're nothing but bad copies of the original.

If it helps, I know many, many, many people who have an ING account and none of them has ever had anything bad to say other than "I wish they offered checking so I could switch completely". But their emphasis is savings and they do it very well.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
claudius753 said:

I would appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions about their favorite online savings places. I do $60 per paycheck direct deposit into savings, but I don't even know what account number I have at HSBC to change my DD election.

Yeah I've been with them about a year, very easy to setup, made a few bucks in interest already too :) Definately no complaints here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
kaidomac said:
Yeah I've been with them about a year, very easy to setup, made a few bucks in interest already too :) Definately no complaints here!

Yeah, I just looked at my March statement and I can't believe I've made almost $2000 in interest since I've been with them. It's easy to just stick your money in there and forget about it until you need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.