Best Music Player for iPhone?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What's wrong with the built in one?

C

chas_m

Indeed, this question has made me stop and think: is there really any other option??

On the Mac, there's nothing as good in an all-around sense as iTunes, but there are well-known alternatives for just playing music, such as Vox. I'm sure there are plenty of apps that will just play music for iOS, I just don't know of any -- and they'd have to be able to access the iTunes library as well, hmmm.

C

chas_m

Apparently not! Even though I would agree with many that the latest version of the Music app is not the best one we've ever had, it appears to be better than anything else in overall functionality. As it's my only gateway on mobile to Apple Music (the subscription service), I have no choice in the matter. I have some, um, suggestions on how to improve the "My Music" part of it, and there are other music players (I use Radium for internet radio stations, for example). There is, however, a reason why iTunes/Music is the most popular music player on both Windows and Mac, and users use the iOS Music app more than any other single piece of Android music platform. It's got a bit of an ugly dress on at the moment, but it's the most beautiful lady in the biz overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Can't say it is the best, but I use Listen to play my library on iOS. Nothing fancy, but does the job and it is free.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Why is Listen better than Music. Or why do you prefer it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Rod, I just like simplicity! There is SO much added stuff to the newer iOS's that I don't use and I dislike the layout. You have to dig deeper into the menu's since apple music is above yours. I also ride a motorcycle so I need a simple player. Listen is a good one for me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Google Play Music also works if you use GPM as your service. It's alright - it's not the most intuitive interface but it's not bad enough to drop.

C

chas_m

I hadn't heard of Listen (get it?!). But seriously, always good to know about a quality alternative for simple listening to locally-stored music. I'll have to check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.